Sunday, November 28, 2010

Korean Evacuation Plan? For Me?


Friends of mine outside of Korea are concerned about the recent North Korean shelling and are looking out for me in these days of military tension on the Peninsula. In fact, a friend who works at the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has urged me to apply for an opening there:
It's a good time to think about it while you can move. Look at the OPCWwebsite opcw.org. There is a job opening for a political analyst. Think about it. They are somewhat flexible on qualifications.
I'm flattered, but from looking at the necessary qualifications, I think that the OPCW would have to be very, very 'flexible' even to consider me. Here's precisely what I wouldn't be good at:
Organises seminars, workshops, training programmes and briefings for representatives of States for the purpose of promoting the adoption of the Convention by all States and explaining Convention requirements, including: developing agendas/programmes and terms of OPCW financial assistance and obtaining agreement with host country/organisation; answering requests for clarification on financial and organisational questions regarding travel and accommodation etc; preparing and/or giving presentations and providing interpretation; arranging for and making payments to participants; and analysing and/or drafting documents produced, including press releases and reports of workshop outcomes, and development of national implementing legislation . . .
Above all, I spell the term "organize"! I therefore doubt my ability to 'organise' anything. I think that I could handle many of the other tasks, though I'd experience a few traffic bumps in dealing with people. My people skills are sorely in need of improvement, and I doubt that the OPCW would care for me learning on the job. Besides, I'm the sort of person who likes to mull things over, and from what I make of this job description, an individual who's quick-thinking is needed. Why, I'm still mulling over what the North Koreans meant by the shelling of Yeonpyeong Island, whereas a quicker-witted sort of person would already have packed up his things and left. So . . . maybe I'm not the man for this job.

Personally, I'd just prefer that Bill Gates give me a lot of money to follow up my own inclinations . . .

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Peter said...

Hey. I am happy I've found this page, I've been trying to remember the web address. Anyway I would just like to thank you for your time and the posting, I've enjoyed it. I have saved as a favorite it and also subscribed to the RSS feeds.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'll bet you say that to all the bloggers you annoy with this same comment.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous dhr said...

has urged me to apply for an opening there (...) They are somewhat flexible on qualifications

It's a pity that North Korea did not shell Italy: I could have tried! Flexible eh? Two years in a private School for comic-strip artists, issuing no diploma, should do.

Just... I would be immediately fired after explaining to them that their mission is nonsense: the first and un-prohibitable chemical weapon is life.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

So long as you have people skills . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous dhr said...

I usually have people laugh.

:-D

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Good enough -- you're hired!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home