Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ozark Crawdad Hunting

En-Uk and Sa-Rah

I finally received pictures confirming that my wife and kids truly are in Ozark hillbilly country, for you see above an image of Sa-Rah and En-Uk wading in the Town Branch of the South Fork River. If I'm not mistaken, that hill sloping gently upward from the photo's upper righthand corner is the Salem Knob, which ultimately rises some 500 feet above the nearby baseball field that the creek flows alongside. Be that as it may, here's Sun-Ae's brief report, which mentions my mother (Gaye), one of my brothers and his wife (John and Sandy), and our children (Sa-Rah and En-Uk):
It's Sunday evening. After evening service at church, we came home. Gaye is gone home, and John and Sandy and we all went to a little creek near the house. It's not so hot in the evening, so we could enjoy the short outing. Sa-Rah and En-Uk went into the water and tried to catch some fish and crawdad, and En-Uk got one eventually!


He was proud of himself. It was a short visit but they enjoyed it. I appreciate John and Sandy taking us down to the creek.
And well should he be proud! Not every kid has fingers nimble enough to capture such a piddly little crawdad! I alway found the big ones easier to catch because they had big pinchers with which to cling long and hard to my hand. Ouch! Anyway, for such a display of crawdad-grabbing skills by the talented En-Uk, the people who should be appreciative are John and Sandy! How many opportunities does one have to observe true artistry in crawdad snatching?

My wife, by the way, is having a working vacation this trip, so we might not see as many photographs as we enjoyed last summer, but I'll be joining the three of them on August 7th, and I might hazard my luck with the camera.

Until tomorrow . . .

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

I'm looking forward to seeing them, Jeffery!

We've been having enough rain that the waterfall excursion may prove do-able!

If Providence smiles upon us, we'll have a good rain a day or two before we get together.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'll call you when I get to Salem. I arrive on the 7th of August and leave the 17th. Time's a bit tight, but we'll work something out.

You might give Sun-Ae and the kids a call in the meantime, just to get a start on the planning -- they're at my brother John's place.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gay talked to Sun Ae yesterday.
We are looking forward to having them over, but we both still have this bad cold/sinus/lung problem, and think we should wait until we are no longer contagious.
We don't want them to be seezing, hacking, coughing and feverish for three weeks like we've been.

Cran

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Sun-Ae mentioned the call and the colds. I hope that you're both feeling better soon. The kids are really looking forward to seeing the two of you, and the farm with all its animals . . . as well as that ATV.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home