Thursday, April 08, 2010

Lonesome Hollow Falls

Lonesome Hollow Falls
Click on Image
(Image from Cloudland Journal)

I just wanted to share a lovely image from Tim Ernst's photo journal of images from the vicinity of his cabin near the Buffalo River in the Boston Mountain region of the Arkansas Ozarks. Though not as impressive in height as the 200-foot Hemmed-In-Hollow Falls, the photo above shows that Lonesome Hollow Falls has its own charm. Mr. Ernst has photos of a number of Ozark waterfalls on his site, so click there and look around if that sort of thing interests you.

Since discovering Mr. Ernst's journal, I've been visiting every day just to glimpse a daily image of my Ozark Mountain homeland . . . to help maintain my sanity so far away from home.

I hope to see this place depicted above in July or August this summer and provide some photos of my own.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I must visit Arkansas some day. In the American Museum of Natural History in New York there is a beautiful diorama in the Hall of North American Forests that portrays a mountain river in Arkansas with a very large and heroic-looking cave centered in a deep ravine.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

That might be on the Buffalo River, but there's something similar here.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Jeff:

Better hope for July or August rains, otherwise most of the falls aren’t falls that time of year. Believe Ponca’s (Hemmed-in-Hollow Falls) runs year round. And near Ben Hur & Pelsor you’ve got Falling Water and Haw Creek (both pretty falls on streams). From past visits, I’d recommend early morning or late afternoon visits…better photo opportunities…and the humidity’s a bit less.

And there’s Hankins General Store at Pelsor…1922 again!

Here’s another source of info: http://weeklygrist.wordpress.com/about/. Check out Joe’s Archives. Lots of places to roam around.

Bill

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Cousin Bill. Let me make that link work.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Sa-Rah Hwang said...

I like the picture! I really can't wait for summer...pass quickly, time!!!!!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

At my age, I hope that time will slow down a bit . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home