Thursday, May 21, 2009

David Lynn Jones to play in West Plains on June 13, 2009?

David Lynn Jones
- First from Right -
2006 Americana Music Conference and Awards
Wayne, Chip Taylor, Steve Popovich, Steve Popovich, Jr., and David Lynn Jones
- From Left to Right -
(Image by
Michael Buffalo Smith)

I'm re-using this photograph of David Lynn Jones from 2006 . . . although I have found two more recent images on a MySpace site hosted by a lady named "Jamie" who lives in Spring Lake, Arkansas. I learned of this site from another lady, "Di," who also has a MySpace site and lives in Clarksburg, Tennessee.

Both Jamie and Di are David Lynn Jones fans, and I reckon that I am, too, even though I possess only one CD, a bootleg copy of a gospel tape that Jones made back around 1999 in his Bexar studio but never produced. I came into possession of this CD because my nephew was dating Jones's daughter a couple of years later and . . . well, the story gets complicated. The shortest story is that I grew up in Jones's part of the Ozarks and have some personal connections through family and friends.

For the benefit of those who run across this blog entry but don't know who Jones is or why I'm talking about him (or who don't know who I am either), just do a search on this blog for "David Lynn Jones," and you'll find out about him (and about me). You can also listen to Jones singing "Here In My Heart" at his own MySpace account, or go to You Tube and enjoy "High Riding Heros," "When Times Were Good and You Were Mine," and "Bonnie Jean (Little Sister)."

Now for the more recent news. A man named "Jamie Denton," who lives in West Plains, Missouri and also has a My Space site, has left a couple of comments on one of my blog entries on David Lynn Jones and tells us the following:
Hi, my name's Jamie and I'm putting on a benefit concert for the late Mark Sallings, who was a member of David Lynn's band, and David Lynn Jones is scheduled to appear on June 13th (a Saturday night) at the avenue theatre in West Plains MO. Tickets go on sale June the 1st at 10 a.m. at West Plains Music Store, and range from 10.00 to 25.00. We would love to have all of Lynn's fans out to see him.

The concert for Mark Sallings mentioned in the above comment will be June 13th 2009, at the Avenue Theatre in West Plains, MO. I just wanted to confirm this is a 2009 date!
Although West Plains, Missouri is only about 30 miles from my hometown of Salem, Arkansas, it's halfway around the world from Seoul, South Korea, where I currently live, so I won't be able to make the concert, but if anyone reading my blog lives close enough to attend and gets to hear Jones play, let us know the details.

I don't know Mr. Denton personally, but I've checked with bass musician Jerry Bone to find out more. Jerry tells me that he's aware of the planned concert but cannot be there himself because his son is graduating from college in Chicago at the same time.

For those who want to know details, Mr. Denton has posted more information at his MySpace site on "The Ozarks Homecoming Concert in Memory of Mark Sallings of the Famous Unknowns."

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

I'd love to go and will see if it's possible. I hadn't heard anything about it until reading your post.

Rick and I have kicked around the idea of approaching David to perform for one of our events in the future. This encourages me and I am now determined to look into the possibilities concerning an appearance by him to benefit a worthy local preservation project.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I hope that you can make that contact with him, Denny. He seems to be gradually emerging from his life as a hermit and might take an interest in your preservation work -- given that he's now an oldtimer!

You might want to get in touch with Jerry Bone in Oxford to see what he thinks. I know that he has contact with David Lynn and would have a better sense of things than I do.

I hope that everything works out, for I'm not sure how firm the agreement is on the West Plains concert. You might also want to contact Jamie Denton on that point.

If it is taking place and David Lynn is assured to perform there, then give the scheduled event some publicity.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will check into this. It would be good to hear Lynn playing and singing again. I miss that greatly. We had some good times at the Alamo (his studio).

John

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

John, do find out and let us know for sure . . . not that I'll be attending, of course.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I'm wondering if anybody went to West Plains yesterday?Did David LYnn JOnes perform, and if so, how was it?

-Larry Saidman

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'm wondering, too. Perhaps somebody will let us know.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi this is jamie denton once again and i wanted everyone to know that david lynn jones did perform in west plains on the 13th and his set was awsome, he did 3 songs 2 new ones, and living in the promislnad, i hope some of your readers made it to the show, it was a real treat to hear jones singing again!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Jamie, that's great. Thanks for letting us know about this confirmed appearance of David Lynn Jones. Will there be a write-up in the papers? Is there a tape?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Larry S said...

Great news. I'd love to hear the new songs. Any chance of them ending up on Youtube? Or on David Lynn's MySpace page? Sure looking forward to hearing some new music from him. -Larry Saidman.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Larry, I think that a lot of fans will be thrilled.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure there will be a follow up with some of the local newspapers! and Dennis Crider former west plains quill photographer took pics of all the artists, so i'll keep you informed, when these come available.as for a recording we weren't able to get that all set up but who knows someone may have snuck in a recorder they always do! so i'd keep my eyes open for that too just in case! Jamie Denton

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended the concert in West Plains, Mo. Saturday evening and agree with Jamie that David Lynn had a tremendous performance. I told him that it may have been the best that I had heard him sing. He was extremely gradified with the great reception and responce he received. The quality of the sound with his acoustic style revealed the vintage David Lynn. I updated him on the great following and support he has received on Gypsy Scholar. You can expect to hear more from David Lynn in the future as he makes a few changes.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've now posted a new blog entry reporting on this West Plains Concert in which David Lynn Jones performed.

I've integrated some of the comments, including not just those by Jamie Denton but also the one left by the generous, anonymous gentleman who seems quite familiar with the Gypsy Scholar blog entries on David Lynn Jones.

Thanks to all who have posted on this. Feel free to continue this discussion (and provide more reports) on the more recent blog entry, linked to above.

And, of course, for any newcomers who want to read more about David Lynn, feel free to search this blog (either by clicking on Jones's name at the bottom of the post or by doing a search for Jones on the "Search Blog" function at the top of the blog.)

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home