Monday, January 01, 2007

"Episode 43: Things Unattempted Yet in Prose and JPG"

A Table Walk Through Hell: One helluva New Year's hangover!
Like Dante and Milton, tempted by the intemptatas...
(Caustic Optimism: created by Devin Tuffy, Valerie Tuffy, and miriku)

Phil Harland, who blogs on the history of Satan, among his other academic pursuits -- I mean Phil's academic pursuits, not Satan's -- needs to see series 43 through 52 of "Caustic Optimism" for a contemporary vision of Hell, but I'm not sure that anybody else needs to.

Through such places do my table walks lead. This morning, hoping to find still more of the Western tradition lying behind Milton's "Things unattempted yet," I inadvertently Googled onto this post-Miltonic site Caustic Optimism and found myself joining Yiff and Merkin on a walk through hell.

Milton! Thou art still living at this hour! In an effectively still-life sort of way...

Anyway, if you like erudite, obscure humor of a vaguely leftist but more distinctly antiauthoritarian, relativistic, amoral, and occasionally crude sort (faintheart alert), then visit this caustic place.

If you don't -- or if you've made a New Year's resolution not to -- then, stay away.

6 Comments:

At 2:35 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

"Anyway, if you like erudite, obscure humor of a vaguely leftist but more distinctly antiauthoritarian, relativistic, amoral, and occasionally crude sort.."

Wait a second, that's one of the only things I actually like!

Happy new year Jeffery!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

If so, then I've started your New Year out right.

Do you think, maybe, that you belong at Bezerkely rather than Notre Dame?

Happy Near Year to you, also, Herr Richter!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Most of the people at Notre Dame are very Republican and very fanatical about football, whereas most of the people at Bezerkely are as unrealistic as I about politics and probably detest football, and yet where am I?
I've got a few friends over on the west coast, I may follow them over there at some point, who knows?

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well ... perhaps you don't belong long-term with "Our Lady" since you don't like football, but Bezerkeley might seduce you. Are you working on an M.A. or a Ph.D.?

You could always go for a doctorate at Berkeley and study with Martin Jay...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I'm doing an MA here, and I'll be going somewhere else for a PhD. I may end up heading over there to work with Martin Jay and Judith Butler, heh heh. That's assuming of course that I get accepted- they've got one of the top programs in my area of research.
Over on my blog, I had to do some editing on my post from last night, and repost the whole thing because of youtube, and your reply was unfortunately lost in the process.
Auf Wiedersehen!
DR

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Sounds like a good plan ... so long as you don't adopt Butler's 'literary' style.

I saw the You Tube trouble and posted a new comment.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home