Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees..."

Osmia ribifloris (on a barberry flower)
Borrowed from Wikipedia
(USDA Photo by Jack Dykinga)

Yesterday evening, I was giving my son, En-Uk, his regular English lesson, which he loves ... to interrupt:
"And so," I explained, "at the end of a question comes a --"

"Daddy," he interrupted, "do you have any sisters?"

"No," I said, "just brothers."

"Your mother didn't want any sisters?" he asked.

"Daughters," I corrected.

"Your mother didn't want any daughters?"

"Oh," I replied, "she wanted some."

"Your father wouldn't let her?"

"He wasn't against daughters," I explained, "but they couldn't choose whether to have boys or girls."

"But mama chose," he objected.

"No," I said, "mama didn't choose, and neither did I."
I nearly added that we couldn't have chosen, but that's not quite correct anymore and would have required a rather technical explanation beyond En-Uk's comprehension, for at 6 years, what can he know about the facts of life?
Accepting that the specific choice was out of people's hands, En-Uk remarked, "Then, you'd have to do it fourteen nights to get a daughter."

"Huh? Fourteen nights?" I wondered. Then a bigger thought hit. "Wait a minute, En-Uk. Do what for fourteen nights?"

"Do it."

"Do what?"

"It."

"En-Uk, what is this 'it' that one has to do?"

En-Uk looked at me as if I were most appallingly ignorant and then, in a tone for explaining the most obvious, natural fact in all creation, said, "You'd have to pray for fourteen nights."

"Oh," I said, smiling. "Right."
And there I had been thinking that he didn't know the facts of life...

14 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

That is a hysterically sweet and poignant post. I love my son, and they get better every year. I loved him at all ages, and each one is special. I just wish I could clone him and have him again every 2-3 years...

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

My wife loved it as well when I told it to her this morning ... until I added that I thought that she and I need to pray together more often.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger harshini said...

That was a cute answer by your son!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Harshini. En-Uk's answer was cute ... and a great relief.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

I have a 6 year old, so I was holding my breath while reading your post. Whew. It's great how they keep us in line.

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Cindy, yeah, I was figuratively holding my breath, too. Every adult who hears or reads this anecdote interprets the word "it" the same way, so I guess that all of us adults have 'dirty' minds.

The kids are there to remind us of innocence.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Milton, thanks for the amusing joke. I'm glad that my son's comment didn't go in the same direction!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger just another blogger said...

En-Uk couldn't have answered it in a better way i guess!
We adults ahve got such dirty perverteous minds.. :P

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JAB, I agree. En-Uk answered perfectly ... or seemed to.

One might have some residual doubts. Take a look at my blog entry for May 4th.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more reason to keep smile on us. Our kids.

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Franky, they certainly do.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger harshini said...

Do you really think he meant Play? What could he know of plays like that. He is just six. I don't want to believe that he has already got that brain!

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I was joking about his possibly meaning "play," but I've recently been surprised by his knowledge. He has picture books on animals and knows when two snails are 'marrying' -- as he would call it.

I finally told him that the word is "mating." Fortunately, he hasn't yet made the connection to human beings, but now that he's seven years old, and therefore growing up, the day upon which he figures it all out cannot be long in coming.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger harshini said...

Well then hes got to know it someday...i guess!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home