Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Noble Laureate Lecture . . . Today?!

This one slipped up on me . . . stealthily.

This afternoon at 2:00 p.m. in Korea University's Inchon Memorial Hall, one of the 2004 Nobel Laureates in Physics, David J. Gross, will be lecturing on a very interesting topic:

"The Coming Revolutions in Fundamental Physics"

Today's talk will be the penultimate in Korea University's Hyundai-Kia Motors Nobel Laureate Lecture Series. Officially, it's "Nobel Laureate Lecuture Series VII," but it's actually the tenth lecture because number VI -- as good and faithful readers will recall -- was a marathon session with three speakers.

Here's the abstract for today's lecture:

I review the present state of knowledge in elementary particle physics and the questions that we are currently addressing. I discuss the experimental revolutions that might occur at the LHC and the ILC. I shall also review the state of string theory, an ambitious attempt to construct an (sic) unified theory of all the forces of nature, and describe the conceptual revolutions that might be necessary to complete this task.

I take it that LHC stands for Large Hadron Collider at CERN and that ILC stands for the proposed International Linear Collider (also at CERN?).

I expect to learn a lot even though I probably won't understand a single word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home