Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Good Cheer For All

I've finally gotten somewhere with my paean to alcohol:

Drunk Gratitude

I've had but little alcohol at all,
such awesome stuff as Skunk Butt's Hind-end Ale,
and nothing drives truth home like alcohol,
for standing vigil in this dreary vale.

Thanks then to liquor's years of keeping me
from making awful messes of myself,
kept firm in its strong grip with dignity,
a jug placed safe upon the sundries shelf.

I think that's got it, despite its being quite different than initially envisioned.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

As I make my way through Radiant Snow, I'm noticing how much you love the sonnet's meter (iambic pentameter), even if the final poem doesn't end up being an actual sonnet. Radiant Snow contains quite a few sonnetoids, for lack of a better term.

So the speeding-ticket poem turned into an alcohol-praising poem? Such a transformation must have involved some alcohol!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I don't know where these things come from, only where they end up.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home