Tuesday, November 09, 2021

Stuck on Existence

Relevant to my meanderings is this post Kevin wrote about a year ago:

In order for some X to have (possess) something, X already has to exist. It therefore makes no sense to say "X has existence" because you're trapping yourself in an infinite loop (or "vicious circle"): X has to exist before it can be said to have existence. The very property X is supposed to have must be in place before X can be said to have it.

But could not the concept of X exist, as a concept, but X itself not (yet) exist and would thus need to be brought into existence?

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I was merely restating Dr. Vallicella's thoughts on the matter, so your question might best be cast his way. I find the argument fairly convincing, but I admit I haven't thought too deeply about the issue.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've not thought terribly much about it, myself. I'm interested, but not talented.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home