Thursday, August 12, 2021

Watching the Green Knight Film

I saw The Green Knight yesterday. Not as good as the original, but that's nearly always true when a book is turned into a movie. Moreover, this film makes no attempt to be true to the original story. Nonetheless, the film was interesting, captivating, very muddy, and a bit long. Afterwards, Sun-Ae and I went to a cafe to talk about what we had seen. I tried to recall the contents of my two papers on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, but arguments were too complex for me to explain from memory in any coherent way, so I simply said that the text contained important wordplay that supported my reading of the original story. I don't want to give away any plot spoilers, so I'll just say that the ending is complicated. Also, stay in your seat to the opening of the credits to make sure that you get every scene in the movie.

2 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I assume you saw this in a cinema. How full was it? What sort of virus protocol are they going with?

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I think that about five other people were present in one of the cinema's large rooms, and no protocol was enforced.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home