Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Uncle Woodrow's Passing

A few readers will recall a recent post on some childhood memories in which my Uncle Woodrow appeared:

Remember the time I got tongue-tied and called you "Uncle Pauline and Aunt Woodrow"? . . .And the time I shared some honey with the bees, and Uncle Woodrow knew it was me and one of my experiments (who would have known bees were so dilatory at sucking up free honey)? And the time I fell through the ceiling and got Uncle Woodrow in trouble for not having boarded up that ceiling for safety's sake?

Well, that Uncle Woodrow has passed on. I will post the official eulogy when it appears. Meanwhile, here stands posted my letter to the immediate family

Dear Family,

I received the sad news from Shan that Uncle Woodrow had passed.

I'm especially glad now that I sent to him and Aunt Pauline a letter of appreciation for the role that they have played in the lives of me and my four brothers. I seem to recall time spent on the farm with them every summer. We learned not only a bit about the farming life at those times, we also learned ethical lessons from two exemplary individuals.

Uncle Woodrow will be missed. I had hoped to see him again after my retirement in 2022, but he's been called home, and he was ready to go.

My heart goes out to Aunt Pauline and to cousins Velna and Martha. They have been to me like mother and sisters, respectively, and Uncle Woodrow was always like a father.

My family here in South Korea sends condolences. We will keep everyone in our thoughts, especially since we also now know that some have tested positive for the Corona virus.

Love,

Jeff, Sun-Ae, and Children

For those who don't know, the "Shan" mentioned in my letter is one of my brothers.

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I'm sorry to read about your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Kevin.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home