Wednesday, November 04, 2020

Part of a letter home . . .

I sent this home as part of a longer letter to an aunt and uncle who had us on their farm every summer. The persons appearing below are Aunt Pauline, Uncle Woodrow, Brother Tim, and Cousin Velna: 

Remember the time I got tongue-tied and called you "Uncle Pauline and Aunt Woodrow"? And the time I stole two pieces of penny gum and gave one to Tim, who told on me, which prompted Velna to inform me I was going to Hell (who'd have known that a ticket to Hell would be so cheap, but I suppose it's one way)? And the time I shared some honey with the bees, and Uncle Woodrow knew it was me and one of my experiments (who would have known bees were so dilatory at sucking up free honey)? And the time I fell through the ceiling and got Uncle Woodrow in trouble for not having boarded up that ceiling for safety's sake? And the time I brought that little tornado right over our heads and sent it on to Bakersfield to take the roof off the schoolhouse? Hey, I didn't do that! I get in trouble for everything . . .

But those were good times. I always knew we’d look back at these little peccadillos of mine after fifty years and laugh. I knew because everybody always makes fun of me. And they never let me forget! Not even after fifty years.

There's more, but this is the only humorous part, thus the only part of interest to the general public.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Wonderful memories!

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Gee, I guess they are. I'm especially glad that tornado episode was permitted to become a memory.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home