Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Hello member teacher

I've recently received an email from a reputable journal that I've published with in the past. Their emails are always in Korean, but each one comes equipped with a translation function, so an immediate translation is always available, though not always entirely accurate. After a brief greeting ("Hello member teacher"), the journal confided in me a secret, namely:

We are conspiring for thesis to be published in Volume 30, Volume 3 of the Registered Academic Journal. If you wish to appear on the paper 30 No. 3 Friday, 20 November Our Society Online Journals and Papers Management System (Please give me the complete contribution through). Please refer to the "Submission Guidelines for Manuscripts in English" and "Guidelines for Manuscript Submission" in Volume 30, Issue 2 of this journal.

I can't see the need for this conspiratorial approach. Everything looks above board, albeit rather awkwardly worded. But there is, ostensibly, some small problem, for I'm told:

Then, I will wait for the member teachers to be imprisoned.

Imprisoned? Imprisoned? Something has surely been grossly mistranslated here, but this presents merely a small problem since no one could possibly imagine that prison awaits scholars for some (un)scholarly reason or other.

Here's the original Korean: "그럼, 회원선생님들의 옥고를 기다리겠습니다." The journal needs a better translation engine, if such there be.

2 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

The word having to do with prison is "옥고," and Naver Dictionary suggests that another way to translate that word is "esteemed manuscript," which is probably what was meant (even if "esteemed manuscript" sounds painfully stilted).

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks. I had found the word "jade," which signified nothing for me, but I'm jaded.

Thanks, again, for the real solution.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home