Wednesday, October 28, 2020

A Dumb Limerick

We know that apes cannot speak, but some people claim that apes can be taught to use sign language to communicate:

Orangu-Tongue

I suffer from my orangu-tongue:
I cannot speak out to anyone.
I must sign what I mean.
I must keep it all clean.
I therefore cleanse these hands with my tongue!

The tongue thus has a role to fill, to keep the hands clean so that the signing is pure, I guess, but the ape communicating in this poem is apparently also adept at typing, which reminds me of the claim that a band of chimps banging away at typewriters would eventually produce a Shakespearean play, though this ape still has a ways to go before claiming that honor.

Update:

An earlier version was better:

Orangu-Tongue

I suffer from orangu-tongue:
I cannot speak to anyone.
I must sign at what I mean.
I must keep it very clean.
I thus cleanse each hand clean with my tongue!

I tried too hard to squeeze the poem into an exactly perfect limerick. This imperfect one was better, but that last line still needs work.

Second Update:

I've reworked the poem considerably in the next blog post.

6 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I like:

I thus cleanse each finger with my tongue!

But more importantly, what happens next?

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Nothing. The limerick ends. (One could write a follow-up limerick, of course, but this last line still needs metrical work.)

(PS Your blog doesn't publish my comments - am I posting them incorrectly?)

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I was getting spammers, so I set the settings so I have to approve the comments. I will do so now.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I think it is there now.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks. I had wondered if my occasional comments were getting lost. I should have asked earlier.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I shall endeavor to be attentive in future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home