Thursday, May 30, 2019

Less was Less, So Aim for More

I have a journal given to me by a student, and I've written in it every day since November 21, 2015. But I've actually been keeping a journal since 1985. Until the advent of the internet, I wrote long entries in my journal, writing experimentally. I imposed rules on my style, such as forbidding myself any use of the word "be" unless it were being used in an "-ing" form. That forced me to think harder in expressing myself. But my journal entries became perfunctory and have been for the past decade or longer. I will continue writing shorter entries, but I'll work harder at offering more substantive entries.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

French author Georges Perec wrote La disparition, a novel written without the letter "E." Quite a feat. I also have to tip my hat to Gilbert Adair, who translated the book into English and still managed to avoid the "E." His English title for the novel was A Void.

Blessed are those who write with self-imposed constraints, for theirs is the kingdom of G-d.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

The easiest way to avoid "e" is to use an asterisk.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

But what fun is it to avoid that fifth glyph by switching it out with a star? La vida would turn dull and arid.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yes, it would be terribly dull, but a slacker like me must make a few sacrifices.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home