Saturday, September 17, 2016

Corrinne Harol and Jessica MacQueen cite me on corruption . . .

Secrets!
Google Books

In The Secrets of Generation: Reproduction in the Long Eighteenth Century (2015), Raymond Stephanson and ‎Darren N. Wagner include an article, "Eve's Choices: Procreation, Reproduction, and the Politics of Generation in Paradise Lost," by Corrinne Harol and Jessica MacQueen, who cite me from an article I published on the problem of uncorrupt fruit falling from prelapsarian trees in Milton's Paradise Lost:
Because Adam and Eve do not yet have children while all other creations seem already to be multiplying, "uncropped" fruit falls to the ground in Eden faster than the pair can manage it (IV.731).[12]
Harol and MacQueen cite me on this point:
[12] Horace Jeffrey Hodges (2011) links the language of uncropped versus cropped to virginity versus death and sexual corruption, and he argues that Satan and Eve, who embody the qualities of cropped fruit, are necessary to God's plan.
My name is again misspelled, and my main point is not fully brought out, which involves puns on uncorrupt and corrupt through the words uncropt and cropt, but I at least merited a footnote!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger TheBigHenry said...

HJH,

My name is misspelled more often than not (there are no spaces in TheBigHenry). My advice -- gather ye footnotes ...

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

But at my back, I always hear time's wingéd chariot drawing near . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Jeff,

It may be time just to go with the flow and change your name's spelling. Heh.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

That wouldn't solve the problem. Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile. They'll be citing me as "Geoffrey."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home