Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ravenous Satan?

All-Devouring Satan?
Cave of Hell
Demetrios Vakra

The image above, of an all-devouring Satan, was provided yesterday in a link by Dario Rivarossa, and I in turn suggested that the "all-devouring Satan stems from a Biblical source" that I would provide in my next blog entry.

First, however, I should downgrade Satan's hunger. Unlike death, he's not truly 'all-devouring' -- he merely wishes to devour all souls. Here, in I Peter 5:8, is the Biblical source:
Νήψατε γρηγορήσατε ὅτι ὁ ἀντίδικος ὑμῶν διάβολος ὡς λέων ὠρυόμενος περιπατεῖ ζητῶν τινα καταπίῃ

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
The word καταπίῃ (katapiē) is second aorist active subjunctive of the same verb that we looked at yesterday, καταπίνω (katapinō), which means "1) to drink down, swallow down 2) to devour 3) to swallow up, destroy."

Tomorrow, I'll return to the main theme of "all-devouring death" . . .

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Anonymous dhr said...

Dear Jeffery, thanks for the quote. You've just become an unreliable source
:-D

All-Devouring Death in its turn may have inspired this character (right) in Miyazaki's cartoon movie Spirited Away, 2001, tho' he?she?it? devoured only objects, everything it found in its way, not people. It has been interpreted as a symbol of Consumerism.

 
At 6:15 AM, Anonymous dhr said...

Another grandchild of Miltonian Death.

Again, identified with Consumerism by the interpreters.

Death -> devouring -> consumerism: after Marx, Economy has replaced Philosophy...

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous dhr said...

Excuse me, I forgot a "caption": the Satan at the top of the page is the one pictured in the Baptistery in Florence, the very place where Dante was baptized. Of course, it inspired the poet's Lucifer.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks for the links. As for the unreliable source, you mean that the image of Satan is not from Mr. Vakra?

I can correct this point if you give me the precise information.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous dhr said...

oh no, Jeffery, I was just joking: If you accept suggestions, materials etc. from me, your scholarship gets quirky, besides being gypsy
:-)

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

It'll just be an additional quirk, I'm sure.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home