Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sunday Mornin' Sing-Along

Old Time Radio
(Image from You Tube)

I ain't no Mitch Miller and ain't got no bouncing ball, but if you open two browsers to this Gypsy Scholar blog and use one to link to "My Religion's Not Old-Fashioned" at You Tube, you can sing along this fine Sunday mornin' with Hank Snow performing that '53 golden oldie country gospel tune written by Stuart Hamblen:

There's but one real religion that redeems a sinner's soul.
It's as timeless as the ages, and it never will grow old.
My Lord gave the key to Thomas, "I'm the way, the truth, the life,"
and the way has never changed since he spoke the word that night.

My religion's not old-fashioned, but it's real genuine,
two and two make four today as it did in my Lord's time.
Modern days don't make a difference; you can't alter truth or time.
My religion's not old-fashioned, but it's real genuine.

In this world of wild confusion, we are often led astray.
When we hear the word "old fashioned" as men speak of God today.
My Lord doesn't deal in fashions, He's more timeless than the seas,
and His words still hold the power as they did at Galilee.

My religion's not old fashioned, but it's real genuine.
Two and two make four today as it did in my Lord's time.
Modern days don't make a difference; you can't alter truth or time.
My religion's not old fashioned, but it's real genuine.

Some are prone to take the Bible and dilute the words of Christ.
They admit He came here one time but will never make it twice.
Be not tempted by those prophets; he said such men would arise.
There is darkness in their teaching, but there's light through Jesus Christ.

My religion's not old fashioned, but it's real genuine.
Two and two make four today as it did in my Lord's time
Modern days don't make a difference, you can't alter truth or time.
My religion's not old fashioned, but it's real genuine.

Country music's a broader genre than some folks realize, and it has long attracted an international audience and drawn recording artists from all over the world. This gospel country song may have been written by the Texan Carl Stuart Hamblen, but it was sung by Hank Snow, a Canadian from Nova Scotia whose trademark 'auctioneer' song "I've Been Everywhere" was originally written by the Australian country singer and songwriter Geoff Mack in 1959 and used a lot of Australian place names. The Australian country singer Lucky Starr made Mack's original song a hit in 1962, and that same year, Mack rewrote it for Hank Snow and an American audience using US place names.

In short, country music gets around, and this Sunday morning, it's gotten around to Gypsy Scholar, so I reckon that it's been everywhere, man.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitch Miller.

My parents listed to his music on LPs while I was growing up.

Like pop/rock, country music has been in decline since the early 80s. I blame Dolly for starting the crossover trend that dilluted country's distinct flavor.

Real country and its cousins, bluegrass and mountain music, are alive and well in local performance venues. Spending a few days soaking up bluegrass among the Appalachian people in southwestern Virginia is on my "to do" list. Did your family get a chance to listen to some great local music during their stay in Arkansas?

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

We listened to my Uncle Cran play his guitar and sing, and we listened to CDs of David Lynn Jones, a local boy who had some national hits, but we didn't go to any hootenanny.

Country music has always overlapped with pop, blues, gospel, rock, even jazz, so don't be too hard on Dolly just because she had those big hits bouncing up the charts.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home