Monday, November 03, 2008

In which I prove myself a coward...

There Are Monsters
(Image from You Tube)

Let me admit up front that horror films scare me. I usually avoid them, even the dumb ones that don't scare anybody else. I have a propensity to believe that evil lurks in the dark corners of our world, and my vivid imagination supplies the uncanny details.

Yet . . . these films exert an attraction on me, and I occasionally try to watch one, partly to prove to myself that I'm not a coward . . . but I'm nearly always proven wrong.

Anyway, this past weekend, I was alone because my wife and kids were off on a jaunt to a traditional Korean folk village, leaving me to care for the cats and work on my academic things. On Saturday afternoon, I took a break from my own duties and rode my bike through the labyrinth of streets down to the river and then along the bike path there. I rode for about an hour upstream until I reached an old railroad that marks the usual turnaround point for me and my family whenever we ride this route. I stopped there for a couple of beers as reward, then returned downstream to where I'd begun and turned off the path and back into the maze of streets to find my way home.

In all, I'd been out riding for nearly three hours and felt a bit spent from the exertion. After a shower, I decided to relax by watching a scary ten-minute film titled There Are Monsters that I found advertised on You Tube.

Bad decision as a way to relax. It scared me . . . but, as acknowledged above, I'm easily unnerved by horror films. Predictably, as darkness fell, I came to realize the gravity of my situation, for I was alone in my apartment except for those dark entities supplied by my suspicions about the world and my overactive imagination.

Bedtime threatened the sleep of reason that produces monsters, and I found myself reluctant to go into my bedroom alone, partly due to a scene in the film, so I decided to sleep on the sofa, where the cats would keep me company. But the cats didn't cooperate. They thought that I was acting weird and kept themselves far away . . . or did they sense some dark entity within? Cats are mysterious creatures and perhaps have their own feline fears about things lurking in the minds of their masters. Left to myself, I therefore did not sleep so well, for I needed to maintain a strong defense against things that don't exist but scare us anyway. I must have succeeded, for I don't recall suffering any nightmares, and I somehow survived my dark night of the soul.

Anyway, for braver souls who want to check out the film, just click here -- but only if you don't mind a bit of profanity in the movies that you see -- and after you've watched, you can report back on how much more courageous you are than I am.

Labels:

18 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't watch horror movies, nor do I read horror stories, because my vivid imagination puts me into them....and if I ever start to read/watch such, I feel compelled to read/see the ending of the story.
Thanks for the invite, but no thanks.
Cran

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

You're a wiser man than I am, Uncle Cran.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, this is a very scary little film, which I'm glad I watched during the day, rather than in the wee hours.

I believe there's an evolutionary reason we're all so afraid of the dark, for the dark, limiting visibility as it does, would have posed an added danger from wild animals, to our distant forbears in the African savanna.

So, to be afraid of the dark was just sensible, and still is, come to think of it.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Jeremy, thanks for confirming the film's scariness.

By the way, your own blog has a well-written, literary quality to it. You'd possibly be interested in Caroline's Confessions . . . except that the blog is no longer accessible. Like yours, her blog tells the story of her life in a rather literary way.

I don't know what happened to her.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be best if you add a suggestion to "place your beer on the desk before you click the link."

Maybe another to "empty your bladder."

Holy Crap!!!

JK

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Maybe, JK, but I do warn everyone that the film is scary . . . or, anyway, that it scared me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm not exactly sayin' I was really scared. I will admit to being quite startled.

And no. I've always kept that 44 laying right where it is.

(dadburned web cams)

JK

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

So, JK, lemme see . . . you were startled by the film for about 10 minute, maybe only 9?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just long enough to ensure to check that I had a full magazine.

'Bout twenty seconds of full-blown startle.

Thank goodness women smiling at me is such a rare occurrence.

JK

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, but I have to worry about my wife, who seems to be smiling at me rather broadly ever since her return with our two young smiling children.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger jeanie oliver said...

I will trust in the future that I should not watch something that you say is scary! You did an excellent job of drawing us into your web because I just couldn't resist seeing what you had found frightening! I smashed my own glasses into my face as I covered my eyes when the glass door was rushed.
Jeanie

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Kate Marie said...

Shudder.

That was creepy. I'm a fan of certain kinds of horror movies -- the ghost story kinds (The Innocents, The Others, The Ring) and the psychologically suspenseful but not too gory kinds (Don't Look Now, Halloween).

And then there's The Exorcist, which is in a category of its own for me.

The scene in this clip where the woman stares at the little girl's red-parka-clad back kind of reminds me of Don't Look Now. Have you ever seen that one? I had to watch a whole other movie after I finished that one (late at night), just to let the sense of . . . I don't know, maybe dread . . . subside.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Jeanie, a movie could be a dumb zombie flick like Plan 9 From Outer Space, and I'd still be scared.

So . . . don't trust my smiling face.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

KM, I've seen The Exorcist, of course, but not those other ones that you mention. Like Uncle Cran, I know myself too well to try to watch horror films.

Though I do sometimes venture a mainstream vampire film because these days, they're mainly action flicks, which I can get into (even when the plot is stupid).

But the horror of real life is usually quite enough.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Malcolm Pollack said...

Yep. Scary.

It's that music.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

The music played its role . . . but there also little things that struck fear into my heart, like the convenience-store clerk wiping her mouth as she stepped out of the back room.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Malcolm Pollack said...

Yes, and her broken door-frame, and her great big smile.

Really a very creepy little piece.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

And her remark, "A kid did that. He won't do it again."

Remind me not to move to Canada...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home