Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mattthew Skenandore, Eve's Dream: Eat a Peach

Mattthew Skenandore
Eve's Dream: Eat a Peach
Paradise Lost Series
(Image from artsig.com)

I don't know if the surrealist artist and heterographer Mattthew Skenandore has read Robert Appelbaum on the peach as the forbidden fruit in John Milton's Paradise Lost, but Skenandore subtitles his painting Eve's Dream with the imperative: Eat a Peach.

Alternatively, the reference could be to a famous line in T.S. Eliot's "Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" or to the Allman Brothers' 1972 album Eat a Peach.

I'd write more, but the internet connectivity is failing me this morning, and just posting this has taken me over an hour.

UPDATE: Now that my connectivity is fully restored, I'll just make a note to myself that I ought to alert Terrance Lindall to this surrealist artist Mattthew Skenandore and his Miltonic themes.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noticing there've been no comments on this fascinating entry, I thought I'd post that I brought out my old Allman Brothers LP's.

Professor? Have you ever considered adding a soundtrack to Gypsy?

JK

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've considered and rejected the notion, JK. I might think about it again sometime, but You Tube works well enough if I want somebody to hear a song.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stated my opinion previously.
No need to repeat an old refrain.
Cran

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Actually, I could record -- and embed here on Gypsy Scholar -- a performance of Uncle Cran playing guitar and singing while I sing along.

Come to think of it . . . he doesn't need me singing along.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another of nephew Jeffery's talents is....he has a nice baritone voice. We did some songs while he & his family visited us. Unfortunately, our karaoke/recorder was kaput.
We now have another, if you would like to row your canoe back for a brief visit & recording session.
You could say Jeffery has a "peachy" voice.
Cran

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Unfortunately, my 'nice' baritone voice is more patchy than peachy. Due to the mild asthma that affects me when the air is polluted or full of pollen, my voice lacks consistently good sound.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting my painting, and for the e-mail regarding Terrence Lindall. i am sending you a lrger version of Eve's dream should you care to post it. This painting is one of thirteen oils painted in 1990-91 and measures 4ft x 5 ft, illustrating John Milton's epic. Sincerely, Matthew Skenandore

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, my thoughts on the peach were inspired the 'downy' reference and also by the idea of Eve having an auto-erotic hypnogogic fantasy. ( we are all adults here) The peach is the paranoid-critical image representing her genitalia feminina externa.. mattthew

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Mattthew, thanks for the comments and the larger image (which I've not yet looked at).

I just returned from vacation and have to catch up on emails and work, but I'll get to your image soon and post it.

Concerning "downy," by the way, you and Appelbaum seem to have responded to the same line in Milton.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home