Thursday, September 21, 2006

Poetry Break: "Intimation of Mortality"

(Image from Wikipedia)

Where is it now, the glory and the dream ... the splendour in the crass, the glory in the power? Yesterday gazed I down from great heights, but today, oh, how am I brought so low?

Broken from that far-flung fall, I post a poem of brokenness:

Intimation of Mortality

My soul of late is much possessed of death.
Perhaps it is a premonition of the end,
When I, with final, aching breath,
Give up the ghost as Jesus did.
Some exhalation parallels that final one.

A thought I had that he comes knocking once a year,
But only once, and just one knock...
A hollow, single knock I hear.
Presentiment of old mortality,
That moment of my death drawn near.
Not morbid, just my own little Memento mori ... reminding you of death since 1985!

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Deacon Bill Burns said...

Very interesting blog you have here, Jeffrey. It's now on my list for regular reading.

Deo Gratia!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Theocoid. I need to revise my own blogroll to include new items ... except that it keeps deleting items automatically, so I've postponed revisions for a while.

By the way, my name has an "-ery": "Jeffery."

I know that this is an odd spelling, but I blame society.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home