Thursday, December 01, 2005

Poetry Break: "Arachnoid"


For those wearied with my reports on student plagiarism, I offer a poetry break.


So . . . brew yourself a cup of coffee, lean back with your feet propped up next to the monitor, and muse about . . . dark things lurking in the universe:




Arachnoid

On dark, translucent pools I've spun,
all petals drop down one by one.

In forests that reflect the night,
all pools exude their dank, dark light.

Across these hands that lustrous weep,
all woods' entangled tendrils creep.

On worlds that whirl around each sun,
old petals drop down, one by one.

(Horace Jeffery Hodges, 1988)

2 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Jeff,

You might be the best person to ask:

What do you know about Korean "coffee house" culture? I ask because I'm thinking of organizing a poetry slam next semester (we start in January; the slam wouldn't happen until February). Do you know where one could go to watch some slams in Seoul? Do you know any students who either participate in such slams or would be able to point me to them?

No hurry in answering; I won't be organizing the slam until late January.

Thanks in advance,


Kevin

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'd be the absolutely worst person to ask ever since my kids came into my life, leaving me without time for anything extra...

Except that Korea University's English Department has a Fulbright Scholar with us this year who writes poetry and has already given a couple of readings, if I recall, one of them being in a cafe.

I'll contact her and get her in touch with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home