Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Be sure to give me credit...

. . . when you 'borrow' my post on plagiarism.

My site meter, located at the bottom of this blog, shot up yesterday when Jim Davila of PaleoJudaica linked to my post on plagiarism.

Thanks, Jim, for the interesting distraction from the grind of grading essays. I had a lot of fun clicking on the site-meter readings to see whence came the people who were perusing what I had to say about the ease of catching online plagiarists.

I now expect that within a few days, I'll be able to Google-search a line from my plagiarism-post and find people citing me . . . or (irony of ironies) quoting me without acknowledgement.

Such are the pleasures and risks of a life online.

1 Comments:

At 3:58 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Korean also lacks articles, so a sudden proficiency with definite and indefinite articles would be one of the signs of plagiarism here in Korea -- but there are so many other differences between Korean and English that one need not rely heavily on patterns of article use alone.

Korean students also sometimes copy passages that they're unfamiliar with but that are well-known to, say, Americans and that are thus instantly recognizable as plagiarism.

Thanks for the anecdotes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home