Saturday, February 20, 2021

Shrewd Shrews?

We learn today about the aggressive shrew.

Shrews, Shrews

Shrews are the most hideous of creatures!
They'll eat twice their weight from day to day!
There's that poisonous bite of their features!
And echolocation takes them away!

But they're so tiny, with nothing their size,
though nothing would be size enough for them
if they were only willing to surmise
and give the truth a thought before, ahem.

What more can one say about such small creatures?

2 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

This post applies several adjectives to shrews:

shrewd
aggressive
hideous
tiny
small

(I'd have said "poisonous," but what was applied specifically to the shrews' bite.)

It must be asked: are we describing shrews or ajummas?

If the latter, can the shrewd ever be tamed?

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I couldn't not be thinking of Shakespeare in writing this poem, but I'd look to "Kiss Me, Kate," probably, though I haven't seen the production. Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with my personal experience of ajummas. The word "hideous" came more as a jolt from C.S. Lewis's science-fantasy novel "That Hideous Strength," I think, though whether that's a logical link, I have my doubts. There's no shrew there, but the word came to me from there. Make of it what you will.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home