Monday, November 23, 2020

Missed Spellings of my name in Kobel's book

One of the regular visitors to my blog, Kevin Kim (aka Big Hominid), suggests that I tap Professor Kobel on the shoulder and inform her of the correct form of my name. I have already done so, but the mistake remains on the internet. Interestingly enough, Professor Kobel once spells my name two different ways on the same page of her book, Dining with John:

page 95: Jefferey H. Hodges

page 95, footnote 169: Jeffery Horace Hodges

With "Jefferey," you can see Kobel struggling between what her eye says is "ery" and her brain says is "rey,"  the latter being the conventional spelling. I am actually "Horace Jeffery Hodges," which doesn't seem so difficult, but nevertheless poses difficulties for so many people.

At one conference that I attended, my name was spelled Geoffrey Horrace Hodges. I caught the attention of some good scholars, but if anybody went looking for me, I'll bet I wasn't easy to find.

3 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I go by Kevin Kim here in Korea because my actual surname, Neidlinger, is too hard for Koreans to pronounce ("nah-ee-deul-ling-gaw"). Even in the States, though, people can't pronounce the name correctly: I've heard "Need-linger," "Needle-injure," "Nye-linger," and even "Natlonger" from an oaf of a gym teacher back in junior high.

And just this morning, a Korean friend I've known since 1994 spelled my first name "Keven." Upshot: I feel your pain.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Sounds like you have it even worse than I. You have my empathy. Sympathy

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Put a period after "Sympathy."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home