Monday, November 11, 2019

Fictionalism

Short Dialogue:

Someone asked me something like the following:

Are fictional characters such as Extra Pound real?

I answered, according to Meinong, yes, they have a degree of reality because we can talk about them as if they were just around the corner, describing them in great detail, such that they are recognizable when they appear from around that corner.

Someone else asked me what fiction could tell us about the nature of truth and reality?

I said I didn't know. And I added, "What can nonfiction tell us about those two?"

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

After reading this, I doubt that I'm real!

Or, just a second... Just a second... Yes! I am unreal therefor I am!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Ah, as for your question... I have another. What does nonfiction (and, for that matter, fiction) not tell us about those two?

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The worlds most famous fictional character is of course "Jesus" - whoever, wherever and whenever "he" was!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Starting with his "name."

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home