Sunday, April 21, 2019

Biblical Remembering?

Heart

Once upon a time, I was working on an article on the biblical view of the "heart," which contained this paragraph:
This Jewish and Christian understanding of the remembering of crucial salvational historical events as though one had personally experienced them has its grounding in a larger Biblical understanding of memory as a faculty of the heart, but this means far more than mere recollection, for in Biblical anthropology, "heart" as a technical term "denotes the center of the person as a rational, emotional and volitional being" (Eric Jager, The Book of the Heart, 2001, page 13). Planning and volition thus come from the heart, which serves as the root of religious and moral conduct. I would like to call attention to the active aspect of this unity, as expressed in the Biblical understanding of "remembering," by surveying and commenting upon a number of Biblical passages.
I had some things I wanted to explain to my own satisfaction, but I didn't remain long enough in one place with a theological library, so I stopped working on the manuscript, which has been gathering metaphysical dust for about fifteen years.

I had thought that my sabbatical might offer me the time, but I now suspect it won't.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger lynnmarie0123 said...

hello is it possible to speak with you regarding Korea and some health issues relating to the eating of dogs? thanks we are making a documentary on this topic, www.dogwarfilm.com I am the executive producer, Lynn Rosa... thank you!

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger lynnmarie0123 said...

www.dogwarfilm.com also we can be found at www.savethedogsfilm.com

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

You need live links:


Dog War


Save the Dogs


That's the best I can do.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Dear Ms. Lynn Rosa,

I think that I am too ignorant of the Korean dog meat industry to add anything substantive to the debate. I am on the side of the dogs, of course. I know that some Korean men think that eating dog soup provides them with energy, particularly sexual energy. I know that this is nonsense, and the belief that beating the dog to death increases the energy is evil nonsense. Some Koreans have told me that dog meat is easier to digest because dogs and humans are more closely related than, say, cattle and humans. I tell them that if this is true, then dog meat is more dangerous to eat since we - dogs and humans - share too many similar pathogens. Beyond what I've posted here today, I know nothing.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger lynnmarie0123 said...

hello back!
actually we are on the dogs side too and what we are looking for is somebody credible to debunk all the stupid myths. a doctor, scholar, food chemist, someone like that and we were hoping you knew someone of that realm?

Lynn

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yes, I understood that you are on the dogs' side. Unfortunately, I am no expert in science, nor do I know anybody who is.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home