Friday, September 21, 2018

New Review of The Soil

Note My Name
Click Book Image

I was surprised to stumble across a new review of The Soil, which says:
[A]ctually, it's a very easy read. First serialized in a Korean newspaper in 1932-3, the narrative is deftly paced, designed to get a general reader hooked, with a large cast of characters from the city and country, glamorous lifestyles, beautiful women, love affairs, heroes, villains . . . and a message . . . . So, having now finished the book, I'm sorry I left it on the shelf so long. It's a thoroughly enjoyable read, with plenty of insights about life and society in colonial Korea, and plenty of moral lessons too.
Unfortunately, the reviewer -- Philip Gowman -- gets my name wrong: "Horace Jeffrey Hodges." This still happens so often. Nevertheless, the review is positive (also quite long), and I have notified the site's owner, i.e., Gowman, about my middle name (Jeffery), which he has since corrected.

Go and read the review.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger London Korean Links said...

I was mistakenly relying on the publisher to get your name right on the front cover ^_^

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

So was I, but I had to point it out to the publisher as well - before it went to press, fortunately. I believe that Amazon has it right (US Amazon, anyway).

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home