Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Writer's Block 4: Windfall

Satan Arousing
Rebel Angels
(1808)
William Blake

I'm still suffering writer's block, so I've commiserated with myself by drawing lines from John Milton to write today's poem:
Writer's Block 4: Windfall
When I consider how my life is spent,
Which far as angel's ken once held purview,
Above Most High insatiate to pursue,
Too well I see and rue the dire event.

Oh how unlike the place from whence we fell,
But here at least, we shall be fondest free,
And what I should be, all but less than He,
To rule th'infernal world, this deepest Hell.

We glory to've escaped the heavenly host,
As gods, thus through our own recovered strength,
Not by the grace of some supernal Power.

Here may we reign secure, and might I boast,
To reign is worth ambition, whate'er the length.
In Hell thus reign; serve not in Heaven's bower.

*With apologies to John Milton.
Milton's not around to receive my apology, but I think that he would have understood, and even approved.

Homework: Who is the speaker in this poem? Obviously, it's . . .

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger Bienvenido Bones said...

Obvious that is Satanic Spirit turning to geniuses! And control everything from the power of the Tree of Knowledge,in 666 art world thus reign serve not in heaven with Christ! Mortal flesh secure, mighty luciferian into beaming splendor and boast ourselves! Satan insisted that I am who I am! That's how Satan gives colors to the world! *Bones*

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

You've correctly identified the speaker in the poem as Satan.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home