Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Jack-a-Nory?


My maternal grandfather loved kids and used to entertain us with stories, but when he grew weary of the acting - for he told his stories with great fervor - he'd head us off with a very short story:
I'll tell you a story
about Jack-a-Nory:
And now my story's begun.
I'll tell you another
about his brother:
And now my story's done.
But his ruse never worked, for we then wanted more stories about Jack-a-Nori! Incidentally, only yesterday did I find out where Grandpa learned this little rhyme: From Mother Goose!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to read stories to my three boys...over and over, as they liked to hear them re-read. I decided to start switching the first letters of words at about the middle of the story to see if they would notice. After a while they would notice...look at my mouth, then correct me and demand I read it the right way.

But then they got to liking it, and would ask me to keep doing it and laugh at the funny words that came out. for instance: the big bad wolf, instead of saying, "I'll huff and puff, and blow your house down," said, "I'll huff and puff, and hough your blouse down."...things like that. Country singer & comedian Archie Campbell did that a lot.

Cran

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

You are migh and highty, Uncle Cran!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home