Wednesday, October 19, 2016

"Nobel Prize for Literature? That's a bit much . . ."

Dylan
Wikipedia

I have to agree with my friend Bill Vallicella, who felt compelled to raise a dissenting voice on Dylan's Nobel:
This brings me to Bob Dylan who was recently awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature. Now I've been a Dylan fan from the early '60s. In the '60s I was more than a fan; I was a fanatic who would brook no criticism of his hero. And I still maintain that in the annals of American popular music no one surpasses him as a songwriter.

But the Nobel Prize for Literature? That's a bit much, and an ominous foreshadowing of the death of the book and of quiet reading in this hyperkinetic age of tweets and soundbites. A large theme. Get to it conservative bloggers. Why do I have to do all the work?
I'd defend quiet reading, but I'm too busy reading books. Anyway, I want to note that I was a Dylan fan - and still am - though never a fanatic, and I wish to echo Bill's remark that the Nobel Prize is a bit much.

On the other hand . . . Dylan can be an inspiration to us all! If Dylan can get a Nobel Prize, maybe we can, too!

Whur do I go tuh pick mine up?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 4:28 AM, Blogger TheBigHenry said...

I feel the same way about Dylan's music as you have expressed about being a fan of his. Mind you, it's his music that appeals to me, not his singing nor his lyrics (which I pay little attention to). When I play "Like a Rolling Stone", for example, I invariably press the repeat button and let the melody and the beat wash over me.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I agree - his true genius lies in the music. He's written a lot of really terrible lyrics!

Leonard Cohen has written a lot more consistently good lyrics than Dylan.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Bienvenido Bones said...

Yes that's what I think, and we're agree with Master Leonard Cohen the profoundly,spiritual and universal poet, and the greatest artist. I like your replying, "Leonard Cohen has written a lot more consistently good lyrics than Dylan" , and then you have a great experience and knowledge. Thanks Dr.Hodges, and more power to the world. *Bones*

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Bones.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dylan didn't seem too impressed with his award either. There is some speculation he might ignore it. If he doesn't want it, I would perhaps...No on second thought I wouldn't...?

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OR WOULD I?...

Cran

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

"Wood-Eye?!"

"Hare-Lip!"

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home