Thursday, November 19, 2015

"Qwerty" - A Homophobic Keyboard?

"Qwerty" Spells Homophobia
Google Images

I was locked in writers' block and staring at my keyboard the other day, when I suddenly noticed the Qwerty keys. Naturally, I'd noticed them before, but this time the 'queerness' of Qwerty JUMPED OUT AT ME: QWERTY!

Just like that. I immediately realized this was blogworthy information.

Qwerty typewriters first surfaced in the 19th century, and the official (hence false) reason given for this fake word "Qwerty" was that the entire set of keys were arranged to make typing difficult, slow even, because professional typists typed too fast on easier keyboards, causing mechanical problems. Or so say some. But do we believe this anecdotal theory? No. We do not.

Rather, the origin of this word "Qwerty" lies in the expression "Queer Tea," short for "He's a queer one, not my cup of tea." Obviously homophobic.

But there is - ironically - some truthiness in the "Official Reason," for Qwerty did make typing more difficult, and the subliminal effect was that of establishing a link between the difficulty of typing and the homophobic word "Qwerty."

The intention was to turn everyone learning to type on a Qwerty machine into a homophobe!

How has this vast and dastardly plan been hidden in plain sight until I saw into it?

I DON'T KNOW.

Except, of course, that I'm a genius.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Smith from high school would probably give you an "A+" for this insight on the nuances and mystery of the keyboard.

Jay

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Smith from high school would probably give you an "A+" for this insight on the nuances and mystery of the keyboard.

Jay

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the double entry. The Publish button makes me click it several times before my comment applies.

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

"The Publish button makes me click it several times before my comment applies."

You just gotta accept "the nuances and mystery of the keyboard."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Lowtax said...

How far up your ass did you have to reach to pull that one out?

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

You doubt the clear homophobia?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Ian Hanson said...

Not to derail your humor, but I do have to add that "so say some" is correct. There's lots of conflicting writing about Qwerty, but I don't believe that Qwerty has anything to do with slowing people down - though it does have to do with switching up left and right hand to prevent jamming.

It's not really my concern anymore, though: I use Dvorak on my computer and Modality on my phone and especially my watch.

Nonetheless, I've taken it upon myself to at least express my opposition, whenever it makes sense, about Qwerty's supposedly being meant to slow us down. I just don't believe it. For whatever that's worth....

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Your jamming theory sounds more likely to me. Thanks for the comment.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home