Thursday, September 10, 2015

"God also will contact you"

!

I recently sent to a couple of English journals here in Korea a couple of lit-crit articles I'd like to see published. One journal has replied - but in Korean! My Korean language skills are atrociously bad, so I would rely on my wife, but she's out at the moment. Fortunately, Gmail offers instant translation, so I'm clicking "Translate" and getting the following message, presumably via Google Translate, so I'm slightly redacting to protect the journal's good name, particularly since the journal has no responsibility for Google's weird translation results:
Teacher,

Good morning? English . . . of Korea is the editorial board.

The teacher who submitted papers commissioned a review to consider the expertise of scholars in five minutes. He believes that examination deulkkeseo wiwonnim give us a fair and professional examination.

English . . . of Korea haejusimyeon edit any review wiwonnim deulkkeseo in accordance with the provisions of the Registration Committee Commentary contributor[.] God also will contact you.

Thank you.

Korea . . . of English . . . Editing Committee Dream
I'm a bit concerned to read that God is going to contact me, but also a bit disappointed that He hasn't yet done so, even though more than five minutes have passed by now. But perhaps the delay is my own fault. The message does say, "The teacher who submitted papers commissioned a review to consider the expertise of scholars in five minutes." Am I supposed to have commissioned a review?

But before I go about the business of commissioning "a review to consider the expertise of scholars in five minutes," I'd better wait for my wife to return and translate the original Korean, just to be sure.

Unless God gets here first . . .

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

If you were to post the full text on your blog, I'm sure a Korean-fluent commenter like Sonagi could help you decipher the message. The power of crowdsourcing.

For what it's worth:

wiwonnim = probably from "wiwon," i.e., committee member or writer of editorials
deulkkeseo = probably a plural marker (deul) plus honorific, so

wiwonnim deulkkeseo = the (honored) committee members (or something like that)

haejushimyeon = if you do [this for us]...

As for God Himself, I'd guess that Google Translate picked up a "shin" which, taken out of context, could be translated as "god" or "spirit" (신, 神). Could be someone's surname, so maybe a Mr. or Ms. Shin will contact you. I really don't know. If it is God, though, please tell Him/Her/It that I say hey.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Kevin. What you've deciphered makes sense.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Your anecdotes are simply divine!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Complexly, too.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Get back to you in five minutes?

Well, actually Mr. Em offers that service. Perhaps you might contact him?

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

True, and Mr. Em is never very far away.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jeff. you're a sweetheart. Kisses...

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

The chocolate sort? I always liked those . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home