Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sometimes, one finds out years later . . .

Terrance Lindall
I wish this were in color!
1979 Warren Awards for Creepy and Eerie

My artist friend Terrance Lindall sent the above image in an email and remarked:
This was in Creepy #119. Never knew I got this award from Warren Communications until now!

In the book Ghastly Terror: The Horrible Story of the Horror Comics, Stephen Sennitt credits Lindall with the attempt to save the line of Warren horror magazines from extinction through his new style of cover art.
But, Terrance adds:
They went under anyway!
Such such is life. But the following anecdote from me to Terrance helps make up for all that:
I had a pleasant surprise the other day. In my position here at Ewha Womans University, one of my duties is to advise students in Professional English and assist them in finishing their senior thesis, usually 20 pages plus bibliography.

The student this year had written a shorter paper in another class and wanted to rewrite it into 20 pages. I saw that her argument was worthless and told her so. I had her explain the drama that she wanted to analyze, and I found a sentence that had a deeper theological meaning and told her that this was a key for unlocking the text's meaning.

She finished the paper in time, and I gave her a pass.

She was happy and wanted to give me a gift. I told her she could just purchase a copy of my novella on Amazon - and then buy me a coffee. Over coffee, she told me that she had visited the Amazon site but didn't know how to use it. She also hadn't understood the "Look inside the book" feature, so she hadn't seen the story's beginning.

But she did see the cover image, and asked me, "How did you get Terrance Lindall as illustrator?"

"You know this name?" I asked in surprise.

She said yes and explained that she spent two years in the States when she was 11 and 12, and to entertain herself, she read a lot of comics and remembered your name from some of what she came across in her reading.

I was much impressed. Terrance, consider yourself famous!
He replied:
That's terrific. A Christmas present to hear it!
All's well that ends well!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 4:21 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Enjoyed this post.

That is a wonderful photo of the young Lindall.

(I wonder, could the "Bottomless Cup of Coffee" be in the works?)

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I used to be able to get a bottomless cup of coffee at the Denny's Restaurant in Waco, just off-campus from Baylor and next to I35, way back in the latter 1970s.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Ah! And then what happened?

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'm still falling . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous bienvenido bones banez, jr. said...

Well we know our Master Terrance Lindall always open mind about Satanic System is real world wisdom! welcome bones 666 art world legacy!

Brother Bones

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

As long as we don't take metaphor too literally . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous bienvenido bones banez, jr. said...

Hopefully . . .

Brother Bones

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Agreed.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home