Thursday, March 07, 2013

Kuesta's Art: Sharing the Works . . .

On Tuesday this week, I discovered within my departmental mailbox an envelope addressed in calligraphic script to a "Mr. Dr. Horace Jefrey Hodges - Professor" -- my middle name a bit garbled, as often happens, though not usually from leaving out an "f" -- and as I puzzled over that, I turned the envelope over and discovered a wax seal stamped with an emblem that I couldn't quite make out:

Sealed Envelope

I'd never before received an envelope sealed in such a formal fashion, like a missive from the past -- or from diplomatic circles to which I have merely tangential relations. I also noticed the many ink stampings of geometric pattern, some with the capital letter "K" and others with the word "Kuesta." One of these contained a website address. I broke the seal and found a photograph depicting a scene from Ibiza, an island in the Mediterranean near the Spanish mainland. I first heard of Ibiza by overhearing the song "We're Going to Ibiza," which I misheard as "We're Going to Eat Pizza" -- and I wasn't the only one! That was back in the final summer before the year 2000, when everybody was getting ready to party like it's 1999, reasonably enough. But I digress. Here's that photograph of the Spanish isle Ibiza:

Photo of Ibiza

Turning the card over, I found more stamps, along with a very brief message: "Mr. Dr. Horace Jefrey Hodges - Share my works. Thanks. Kuesta." The sole remaining handwriting was the date: "2013." You see this below:

Mysterious Message

That was a rather mysterious message, for I didn't know the "works" of this individual, or even what they were. From the effort put into the aesthetics and even the seal, I surmised that these were artworks, and by going to the website provided, I saw that I was correct:

Untitled-K8-5
Ancient Egypt Series
José A. Kuesta

The artist was José A. Kuesta, as I discovered after a bit of searching. One website, though only one, identified him as a professor in the Ministry of Education, and I seem to recall seeing somewhere the fields of history and literature, but I didn't manage to locate those two details again when I decided to write this post. Ordinarily, I wouldn't honor a request out of the blue from someone I don't know who provides so little information, but this man went to the trouble of finding my university address and decorating his letter and envelope -- and especially of sealing the envelope with a wax seal! -- that I was charmed enough to take the time. Moreover, I liked his art.

So . . . here's his website -- share the works!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

Oooh, mysterious!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

It was . . . but most mysteries fade away . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Query-Addressed in calligraphic script to a "Mr. Dr. Horace Jefrey Hodges - Professor" -- my middle name a bit garbled, as often happens, though not usually from leaving out an "f" -- and as I puzzled over that, I turned the envelope over and discovered a wax seal stamped with an emblem that I couldn't quite make out ... "I'd never before received an envelope sealed in such a formal fashion, like a missive from the past -- or from diplomatic circles to which I have merely tangential relations. I also noticed the many ink stampings of geometric pattern, some with the capital letter "K" and others with the word "Kuesta." One of these contained a website address. I broke the seal and found a photograph depicting a scene from Ibiza, an island in the Mediterranean near the Spanish mainland. I first heard of Ibiza by overhearing the song "We're Going to Ibiza," which I misheard as,

IBuzada from the Arkansas Ozarks but I've been Reformed. Now Greekly and Coptly and lately Greek Orthordoxally but remaining much the same except for my Baylor, Berklite and Hoplite (as best I've been able to overcome -with Cran's help)

but now that I'm a worldly acclaimed [insert] I reckon as mysteries go, I'll just go along with the mysteries.

The wife tried. And put much effort into it but; since I'm now in the Eighth Circle with me and Herschel Ducker now that I think on it. ...

Herschel Ducker should write his own damned book.

Jeffery Hodges

***

Google

?

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Send me over a pint of the stuff you're drinking . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I noticed was that it said, "Unleaded" - I do wish I'd sniffed it first.

(Why it was in a Mason Jar, I dunno - the lawn hasn't grown so much that it's necessary to prime the mower).

Don't think I can get posted in the mail - it's definitely "hazardous material" - sorry. I tossed it.

HD

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

It's the thought that counts . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home