Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Dario Rivarossa: "BBB: Drinking Culture"

Dario Rivarossa

My Italian friend Dario Rivarossa, artist and all-around Renaissance man, is still posting his idiosyncratic images inspired by my story about a bottomless bottle of beer -- images that regular readers have seen posted here before, but not with the accompanying words from my story, at least, I think not. The passage below has the Naif reading a review of a play that he doesn't realize is partly about his own life, in its consequences, anyway:
I turned to the entertainment pages . . . and noticed a review of some new play. That one caught my eye because of the weird title: The Call of Cthulhu. . . . Baffled, I read on, learning much about Cthulhu but nothing about a beer called Shoggoth's Old Peculiar.

- Horace Jeffery Hodges, "The Bottomless Bottle of Beer," in Emanations: Second Sight, page 136
In Dario's accompanying illustration, note Cthulhu's bottle head with its emanating tentacles, one of which has captured a person, most likely the Naif in my tale. I'm unsure where to look for Cthulhu's eyes, nor do I know where to sniff out the location of Cthulhu's nose.

Dario's reference is to the short story version, but the somewhat expanded version with Terrance Lindall's many illustrations can be seen in part here . . . and ordered here.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:25 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

I'm unsure where to look for Cthulhu's eyes, nor do I know where to sniff out the location of Cthulhu's nose

Cthulhu had no nose, but it/he had big flashing eyes --- not shown here, though, since I tried to keep the pic realistic, ha ha.

Anyway, I repeat that BBB story of yours is my favorite 21st century text, so far. You know, a guy reading a review about a Lovecraftian play, but looking for tips about a beer, and making the whole plot revolve round that :-D

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Only the twenty-first century? It's my favorite story of all time . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

of all time

in fact, one could hardly mention even just one better work of the 22nd and following centuries!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

True, one would have to mention several . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home