Thursday, March 14, 2013

An old NoZe friend introduces me to Dr. Boli . . .

Dr. Boli

I recently contacted an old fellow NoZe Brother to congratulate him on his career, see how he's doing otherwise, and update him on my latest activities:
Keko Muckety-Muck . . . or however that goes . . .

You seem to be doing well in your career . . . . Is working for [your current employer] . . . as interesting as working for Nunn, Pfizer, NYC, the White House, or Chrysler Corporation?

I appear to be putting down roots here in South Korea. Still teaching English -- mostly composition (essay and research writing). Still publishing articles on various academic topics. Still editing a lot. Still translating.

In fact, my wife and I have translated a novel by the early 20th-century Korean writer Yi Kwang-su (The Soil) and a collection of stories by the contemporary Korean writer Jang Jeong-il (When Adam's Eyes Opened), both of these [slated] to be published this coming autumn. I should frankly acknowledge that my wife translated. I edited for style . . .

But I've finally done something for myself, written and published a novella illustrated by Terrance Lindall, which you can preview here . . . .

The hard copy is available here, should anyone be interested . . . .

Did you, by the way, ever get around to publishing your own alcohol story about transubstantiation? Have you written anything else -- other than your wounded memoir and all those great speeches?
I soon received a reply:
Ah,

I can see this is extraordinary, even after a mere five-minutes scan of the first pages. I look forward to a full-throated read. Are you familiar with Dr. Boli? Seems a kindred spirit of yours. He too just wrote his first novel, The Crimes of Galahad. And his blog (Celebrated Magazine) is worthy.

Yours in one of the several affordable True Faiths . . .
I somehow hadn't heard of Dr. Boli, so I Googled and located the good doctor's website, Celebrated Magazine. I also ordered his novel, The Crimes of Galahad, which looks worthy as well (else I wouldn't have ordered it). Speaking of Dr. Boli, I liked this recent announcement on his blog:
ANNOUNCEMENT
The Action Committee on the Unjustly Incarcerated has asked us to inform the public that the Committee is no longer calling for all citizens to attend the rally in the Convention Center tomorrow evening. It seems that the Committee was misinformed: there never was any such person as Will Baptist, the words "Free Will Baptist" having an entirely different meaning from the one the Committee had understandably derived from them.
That one somehow brings back old Southern Baptist Baylor NoZe memories . . .

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Tom Ball said...

Are you certain that Dr. Boli isn't really Kimo? There's a familiar, comfortable ring to this stuff.

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I am in fact wondering that very thing. One of the comments posted on Dr. Boli's Celebrated Magazine certainly sounds like Kimo:

"We anticipate this novel as the watchman longeth for the morning. Yea, as the watchman longeth for the morning."

Some of the comments posted are clearly invented by Dr. Boli himself as part of the humor.

Circumstantial evidence, but intriguing . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home