Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Dario's "Bottomless Bottle" Series . . .

Readers will recall the two recent posts showing Dario Rivarossa's initial two aesthetic responses to the short story version of "The Bottomless Bottle of Beer," which appeared in Emanations: Second Sight, but here they are again, the first one, titled BeheMoth:


I've already commented on this apparition -- and been corrected by Dario. Here's the second one, titled SighNature:


I again commented -- and again got corrected! Maybe I'll just post the next six without confidently posting my own bold comments. Nah . . . that'd be no fun! Here's Satyricon:


To me, this looked like a mosquito larva, but Dario described it as "a free interpretation -- in this case, of the paragraph in which they notice the beer label," by which he means the scene in my story where the Naif and his wife discover the dancing satyr images on the bottomless bottle's label. Next, we see Narwazazel:


Dario describes this creature as "a tribute to your colleague Herman Melville," and it's inspired by the single-fanged Azazello, who apparently reminds Dario of a narwhale! Now comes Hell-ooo:


Clearly meant as Hella, whom Dario also describes as a "Femme fat-Ale".-- obesity being dangerous to one's health as the message, perhaps. We now find The Call:


As Dario reminds us, "everybody got a special call." Evidently, that call was a past event (hence "got"), so I must have missed it, and Cthulhu has now come calling like a voice in a bottle echoing, "You'll be sorry . . ." Which brings us to Falling Firefly:


This one's title alludes to a pun on Mr. Em's name in the story as Mr. Webster describes how to trap him -- or in Dario's words, "about the 'solution' of the existential and theological dilemma." Finally comes Satan-s-coffin:


This puns on Satan scoffing in ambiguous words, an allusion in my story to John Milton's epic poem, Paradise Lost, or in Dario's words: "the spell of spelling: Satan scoffin', or Satan's coffin."

Thanks, Dario . . .

12 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

I thank you. You succeeded in having me read a 21st century author!! But you do belong to the glorious "school" of "your colleague Herman Melville": new ways to tell that old, fascinating myth.
:-)

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

With a single story, I'm compared to Melville?

What will two stories get me? Apotheosis?

I shall mount to the heavens, I shall . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

With a single story, I'm compared to Melville?
What will two stories get me?


Mel-brooks

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Third story? Mel-anoma.

Because my future's so bright . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Fourth:

magic! Melting Potter

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Fifth: mel-li(super)fluous praise!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

you're Mel-come

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'd rather be Mel-bourne . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I am awash in the froth of word play!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Wonderful images, by the way!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Those two comments form a poem, Carter!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Many thanks, Carter . . . yay!

(the rhyme of the Ageing Mediterraner)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home