Thursday, May 17, 2012

Teacher's Day: Noteworthy Notes . . .

Teacher's Day
"Have you been nibbling
on my giant Hershey's chocolate bar?"
Celebrated May 15th in Korea

One of last winter's students who's studying graphic design and has aesthetic flair surprised me by leaving a birthday gift and card for me in the English Lounge this week:
Mr. Hodges
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
I made the flower from scratch. I hope you like it. And I know my gift is so random. You can give the lip balm to your daughter.
Minji

The flower turned out to be for Teacher's Day, the day after my birthday, and it read "Happy Teacher's Day. From Minji." I also received some kindhearted Teacher's Day notes from two students in my current Academic English class:
Hello, Professor! I am Jiwon Song from your Academic English class. HAPPY Teacher's Day! And thank you very much for teaching us with excellence.

Dear Professor H. J. Hodges,
Happy Teacher's Day!!! Thanks for imparting lots of knowledge and insights into my life. I really enjoy and appreciate your teachings. May you have a great day ahead!
Yours Sincerely,
Agnes Loh Yuan Qi

Agnes doesn't really need to learn much from me, given her Singapore education and her excellent English, but I also received a collective note from the Ewha Voice, where I do some editing work and 'teach' reporters -- who do need some help -- to write clearly, concisely, and with verve!
Dear Professor Hodges
Happy Teacher's Day
We always appreciate your passion and contribution to Ewha Voice! With all respect.
Ewha Voice

Passion? My wife was a little suspicious of that term -- until I explained that it can also mean "suffering." Anyway, the appreciation was nice to hear, from all of the students who gave cards of praise. I hope that the praise is deserved on my part! I'm tempted to reply to each student by quoting Eve from Paradise Lost 9.615-616 and suggest to each student that "thy overpraising leaves in doubt / The virtue of that Fruit" of knowledge that I've imparted.

But I'd best not raise doubts about my 'virtue' . . .

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Did Minji spend some time in the States fairly recently, i.e., within the last 2-3 years?

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

She spent about three years in San Diego during middle school, but that was some time ago. She delayed university and occupied her time doing other things, so she might have made a trip. Should I check?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home