Saturday, June 25, 2011

New Brewment Moving . . .

Christopher Bowen's British-Style Pub
Photo by Fred R. Conrad
(Image from The New York Times)

Uh . . . make that . . . "New Movement Brewing . . ."

I confess, I've had a drink or two . . .

Anyway, I'd like to tuck a private pub of the sort in this photo into a corner of my apartment, but my wife, for some reason, objects. Something about 'space'. Now, I can't imagine what brewing a bit of beer has to do with things extraterrestrial, but I'm no authority on that, so I defer to her superior knowledge.

But if the universe were large enough -- and it certainly feels expansive after a few drinks -- I'd brew my own beer, much like the men mentioned in John Holl's New York Times article, "Need a Six-Pack? Hit the Basement" (June 22, 2011), who are part of a small-brewing renaissance:
Home brewing, which was rendered illegal by Prohibition and not legalized again until 1979, is enjoying a resurgence. The American Homebrewers Association, based in Boulder, Colo., had just 11,724 members in 2006; that has since more than doubled, to 26,000. This increased interest, in turn, has fostered a mini-boom in brewing equipment, according to Gary Glass, who is the director of the association. "Home-brew supply shops reported a growth of 16 percent in gross revenue, according to 2009 numbers," Mr. Glass said, referring to the change from the prior year. The numbers for 2010 are not yet available, he added, but he anticipates double-digit growth once again.

This increase has been aided by the rise of social clubs, books and competitions geared to home brewers, as well as by the success of microbreweries over the last two decades, which has inspired many amateur beermakers. The D.I.Y. [Do It Yourself] and locavore [local eating] movements have played a role, too. "There is a trend to do things more locally," Mr. Glass said. "You don’t get any more local than doing it at home."
You see? You'll not only be brewing your own beer, you'll be doing something environmentally ethical! But don't let that stand in your way. Read the article. Follow the advice found there. Brew your own.

I'll drink to that! Too bad I have to buy that drink . . .

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me....I have to leave this blog now and brew myself a nice mug of......green tea!

Cran

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well, if I know the Hodges clan, Uncle Cran, there'll be something more potent to slip into that tea . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno Jeff, is Cran Irish by any chance? I've "heard" some of my neighborhood brewers of Irish ancestry call the product "Green Tea" (of course I doubt Cran's wort has every last ingredient their's does).

Still - if Cran's does - I might make it over to his place one day soon.

JK

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Uncle Cran is mainly Welsh and English, I think.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a touch of Pennsylvania Dutch (actually German) on my grandmother Stephens side.

And I'll drink a sip of tea in memory of my ancestors.

Cran

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Touché for the Deutsch.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seem to drink alot of tea Cran. Odd you announce it on a post about beer.

JK

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

My uncle was apparently offering a subtle hint, JK, possibly even inviting you for 'tea' . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home