Sunday, March 21, 2010

Second Ether and the Multiverse?

Multiverse
(Image from Wikipedia)

I've learned from Mr. Carter Kaplan -- in a couple of blog comments and emails -- that the "Second Ether" concept in his novel Tally-Ho, Cornelius! is borrowed from Michael Moorcock's literary fiction. From Kaplan's own novel, I had made the connection to the multiverse of modern physics and philosophy -- for Peter Forrest and I used to discuss the multiverse during my three years at the University of New England in New South Wales, Australia.

To further my knowledge of the Second Ether, Mr. Kaplan offered a link to a piece that he wrote on the concept and published in New Boundaries in Political Science Fiction (University of South Carolina Press, 2008), but the link is to a site on the 'Multiverse', and I -- for some reason, perhaps my insufficiently evolved state -- cannot enter the 'Multiverse, as I explain:
For some reason, . . . the 'multiverse' links that I've seen always return me to the homepage for Yahoo. I've noticed this in trying to access Michael Moorcock's site. If I Google his name and then click on 'multiverse', I end up at Yahoo. Baffling. I suppose that I've not evolved sufficiently to enter the Second Ether.
But I invite my readers to test Kaplan's link and report back from the Second Ether of the multiverse if they can . . . and try Moorcock's larger site for that matter. I'm still assuming that the concept is a riff on the original, first ether of pre-Einsteinian physics, with a debt to the old, Medieval concept of the etherial quintessence.

Let me know . . .

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Fractal Fantasies of Transformation

Works fine at this end.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Maybe Korean software redirects me, for I still end up at Yahoo.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home