Tuesday, July 28, 2009

More Ozark Images: River and Lake

More scenic scenes of happy hillbilly fabulous fun from the downhome darned old Ozarks!

You see first an action shot of my 12-year-old Sa-Rah expressing her astonishment at the super-clear-flowing mountain clarity of the extraordinarily "clear water of the South Fork of the Spring River[, which] runs through the northeastern boundaries of Salem and provides recreational opportunities, such as fishing and floating," for knowledgeable locals and unsuspecting tourists.


I actually used to swim in that water, despite being one of those "knowledgeable locals" aware of the hog farming that went on upstream.

We next see 10-year-old En-Uk, preparing to skip a rock across those clear-flowing waters. Regular readers will recall that I recently trained him in that activity.


Unfortunately, my training of him was apparently insufficient. I'll next have to teach him that rocks won't ordinarily pass through trees. Or had En-Uk been reading about Herschel Ducker's childhood pastime of implanting rocks in tree crotches? Hmmm . . .

Anyway, after excessive amounts of fun by the river, Sa-Rah and En-Uk visit the town lake (no, not that other, previously mentioned 'lake'), where the better waters invite a little fishing:


I must say that I don't recall so many regulations from back when I was a kid, but that's progress. Click on the image to enlarge for reading, if such is important to you, and you'll see that fishing is allowed these days with pole or rod only. I remember fishing that old lake with nets and trotlines back when my cousins from South Carolina visited. Good thing that the American constitution allows no ex post facto laws, or my whole family would be felons!

Having neither rod nor pole, Sa-Rah and En-Uk are limited to 'eye-fishing' -- if I might be allowed to invent a "Konglish" word.


Fresh from 'eye-fishing', En-Uk shows us the inexplicably supercilious look that he has caught.


Better toss that one back in, En-Uk. I don't like the looks of it. As punishment for his attitude, En-Uk is subjected to the torque torture.


This tortuous method has its desired effect as En-Uk wretchedly retches into a nearby ditch.


A moral lesson having been imparted, En-Uk joins his sister and grandmother for a chastened stroll along the lakeside path.


Afterwards, the three of them join other relatives at South Fork Restaurant -- nowhere near the clear-flowing South Fork River, thankfully -- and dig into a hearty meal.


Sa-Rah employs the meal as a teachable moment and instructs En-Uk on the etiquette of utilizing a useful eating utensil to adjust one's necktie at the table.


And an exciting day comes to its happy end, or so we must believe, for no other images were forwarded to me by my lovely wife, who 'appears' in the above photos solely as my own adopted point of view.

For I have learned that adapting to her perspective on things works out best for me in the long run . . .

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your children look like they are enjoying every moment of their time with kin in the Ozarks. Will your daughter keep her mushroom cut or is she looking forward to growing out her hair when she starts homeschooling?

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well, she hates her mushroom cut, so she'll certainly let it grow, but I'm not sure what style she likes.

Yes, they are enjoying their time, and tomorrow's images will show actual fishing.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad they're having a good time! Sarah looks adorable with any kind of hair (I once saw her in a wig, I think) so I hoep she doesn't hate the mushroom cut too much!

Also, I hope you are enjoying your summer with books.

Cheers from Canada,

Melissa

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Melissa. I'd relay your kind words about Sa-Rah's haircut . . . but she so negative about being a mushroom that I fear even your praise would earn a scowl!

I am enjoying my scholarly solitude (but simultaneously missing my family and the experiences together), and I hope that you are enjoying your family visit in Canada.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Jeff:
I did a magnify on En-Uk and Sa-Rah's plates-good to see the youngsters are wolfing down fries, hamburgers (where's the cheese and onion, En-Uk?), deep fried catfish and hushpuppies (Sa-Rah, you've gotta spice em up with that Tabasco sauce).
And a question-is that Salem's South Fork Restaurant? If so, they've recently sheet rocked over the beautiful wood walls.
Bill

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger jeanie oliver said...

Was she required to have her hair cut like that for school? I'm just curious. I love the cut, but was trying to figure out from comments if she was made to do this.
Jeanie

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, Bill, that's the famous South Fork Restaurant. Didn't I mention that point? I hadn't noticed the remodeling, but I'll take a look.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Jeanie, she's required to cut her hair, but I don't know about the specific cut. I don't think that the mushroom cut is required because I recall her complaining that the hairdresser didn't give her the cut that she requested.

But when you see her, you can try praising her hair and see if that makes her happy.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girls are required to keep their hair trimmed above the shoulders, but otherwise no specific cut is required although certain extreme styles like a mohawk are forbidden as are perms and coloring. Korean students with naturally curly or brown hair are given ID cards stating that their hair is natural so that they may avoid punishment. The mushroom cut came into fashion about a year ago and remains popular among young Koreans.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

My daughter doesn't have an ID like that. Has the law changed, or does she not need one because she's so obviously different?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The natural hair ID cards are not a national regulation but a policy at many schools. Your daughter's school may not use these ID cards, or because of your daughter's family ancestry, school officials may not think she needs one.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Either way, it's a weird restriction on personal preferences, isn't it? At least, we Westerners would generally believe . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unusual hairstyles do not distract from learning as the novelty quickly wears off. One of the brightest students in our school flips between wearing a brightly colored mohawk and straight blond hair. A dredlocked African-American kindergartener showed up one day with his naturally curly hair all bunched up on top of his head like Buckwheat. His teacher and classmates were amused, and he was delighted by all the attention. Then everybody got over it and got down to the business of learning. We educators have a lot more important things to worry about than some kid's hairstyle.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Right, Sonagi, and they need to figure that out here in Korea, too.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home