Monday, December 22, 2008

David Lynn Jones: "When Times Were Good and You Were Mine"

David Lynn Jones
Heart to Heart Classics
(Image from You Tube)

Yesterday, I received an email from a friend of David Lynn Jones back home in the Ozarks. He wanted to let me know that he might be working on some old Jones tapes, including the gospel music tape that I've previously written about on this blog. These tapes were made back in the early to mid-nineties and were thought to be mostly lost but seem to have been found, and a couple of Ozark folks are planning to make an attempt at digitalizing the recordings. Let's hope that this pans out.

Meanwhile, I found a video at You Tube of Jones playing a piece with country musician Stan Hitchcock in the latter 1980s, I think, for Stan Hitchcock's Heart to Heart show on Country Music Television.

The song is one that David Lynn Jones wrote, "When Times Were Good and You Were Mine," which I believe has been recorded by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard.
There's a place, I can go, in my memories,
Back to a life I chose to leave behind,
And sometimes I still need to remember
When times were good, and you were mine.

I'm still livin' with my reasons for leaving.
They must have seemed more important at the time,
'Cause now, I only dream about the two of us,
When times were good, and you were mine.

I've still got everything that came between us,
This old guitar and a weakness for the wine,
So tonight, I thought I'd write one for the memories
When times were good, and you were mine.

There's a Golden Eagle rollin out of Memphis
And a country singer still lost between the lines,
And I know the old road I'm on will never lead me
Where times were good, and you were mine.

I've still got everything that came between us,
This old guitar and this weakness for the wine,
So tonight, I thought I’d write one for the memories
When times were good, and you were mine.
If you missed the links above, then use this one here to access You Tube and watch David Lynn Jones play and sing "When Times Were Good and You Were Mine" before somebody yanks it off the internet.

I wish that there were more online.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Thank you for your post on Lynn. It brought back some great memories of sitting in his studio (the alamo) visiting. We would talk about music, life, family, religion, and much more.
Lynn took Josh and me deer hunting, what a story-I'll tell you sometime. Then there was the turkey hunting story to which Lynn said he would never take me again. He must have told that story 1000 times, because it seemed everyone in Viola knew the story and would laugh.
I miss the visits with Lynn, hopefully in the future there will be more. Maybe there will be more of his music published for all of us to hear.

John

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

John, I hope that more of David Lynn's older-but-unpublished music will come out. Maybe something will happen there. A lot of people are hoping that David Lynn himself will play and write again. We can hope along with them.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I've been in music professionally for 50 years in 2009 and David Lynn Jones is the single most talented artists/songwriters I've ever had the pleasure to sit across a guitar with. David and I became friends back in the 80's when I was running CMT and I had a show called "Stan Hitchcock's Heart to Heart". The particular cut you are offering, from You Tube, is from a Heart to Heart that David and I did in Branson, MO in 1994 and one of my very favorites. He's got so much music in him that somehow we need to get more of it out for the world to enjoy. Thanks for offering this clip of "Stan Hitchcock's Heart to Heart" and may your gypsy wanderings be good. From one Ozark Mountain boy to another, Best Wishes on the New Year.

Stan Hitchcock

Stan@hitchcockcountry.com

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Stan, it's an honor for me to welcome you here in your visit to my little Hillbilly-Gypsy blog.

I never would have expected this, but thank you for dropping in and clarifying the date of the video: 1994. I happened to see David Lynn that year, I believe, in my brother John's church in Viola.

A year later, I got married to my wife Sun-Ae in an old church not far from David Lynn's Bexar place, and we played his "Nightingale Waltz" on a cassette during the wedding feast there in the church.

On the way back to Salem, my hometown, we stopped at 'The Alamo' to speak with David Lynn, who was a bit embarrassed when we told him that we'd played his song at our wedding.

Anyway, a Happy New Year to you, too, and thanks again for the visit.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Good to visit with you. You have an interesting site and life. I was raised on a farm around Pleasant Hope, Missouri and moved to Nashville in 1962. Ozark blood runs true and always pulls you back home.

Best,

stan

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Stan, thanks again. Yes, the Ozark blood does draw one home . . . even if only for visits.

By the way, I sent you an email. Did you receive it?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Di said...

I added the video to my myspace page and have gotten several messages about it. A lot of folks out there still remember David and are like most of us here, waiting on him to release more music.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Di, I'm glad that people still want to hear David Lynn's music. Speaking of wanting more of his songs to become available, just search this blog for what Jerry Bone has told me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger bluegrasshack said...

Letting you know that Gary Rounds talked about the song and David Lynn Jones at a Mountain View Parlor Pickin' on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017. Gary then rendered a beautiful version of When Times Were Good and You Were Mine. What a powerful song! Check my blog to learn more about the Parlor Pickin'. I believe a relative of Jones' was also in the house that evening.

Pick away! 🎻
https://talkinbluegrassmusic.blogspot.com

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, BGS! Here's your link.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home