Saturday, August 09, 2008

Now, you tell me...

Actual photograph from my vacation!
(Image from Wikipedia)

Some readers may recall my Physical Fitnas blog entry of April 1st. In that post, I give a heads up to readers on the possibility that a scientific experiment in Europe might spell the end of just about everything . . . if Walter Wagner and Luis Sancho are right:
They think a giant particle accelerator that will begin smashing protons together outside Geneva this summer might produce a black hole that will spell the end of the Earth -- and maybe the universe.
Being the eternal optimist, I decided to look on the bright side of this possibility. In fact, I became downright hopeful about the endtime scenario, treated it as a certainty, and took unhaltering 'steps' to deal with what I had come to see as inevitable . . . only to hear the bad news from Malcolm Pollack:
"There are those who fear that the collider, which occupies a 17-mile-long tunnel straddling the border of Switzerland and France, may kill us all by creating a world-devouring black hole or strangelet. While we can all enjoy a little frisson at the thought of such a gaudy exit, it is not going to happen."
Dismayed, I posted a prompt wail of despair:
But . . . but . . . I've already cashed in my mortgage, vacationed a week in some place I can't even spell, and left my wife and kids -- only to have you tell me "it is not going to happen"? Damn, now I have nothing to live for. If the world's not going to end, I might as well kill myself. Thanks a lot.
At least Wagner and Sancho were not entirely wrong. My world has come to an end, and I can take some solace in that.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Roboseyo said...

well, I have an electric fan you can borrow if you want to off yourself.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

No thanks -- I've heard that really works after all.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do, can I have your blog?
Cran

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Sure, Uncle Cran, why not -- it's mostly yours these days anyway.

By the way, is Cousin James staying at the farm for the next week or so?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

James, Julee & boys left this afternoon for a visit with her family, then on to Germany next week, for a 2 year period at NATO headquarters.
I don't think being blogboss is for me -- I'm not ready for the responsibility, being basically irresponsible.
Cran

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Uncle Cran, I guess that's an indirect way of saying that you don't want me to off myself.

I suppose that now is too late to offer James my greetings, but you can always email him. I reckon that I could, too.

NATO, eh? Too bad that he wasn't there back in the early 90s when I was studying in Germany. I don't think that I'll be visiting that part of the world for a while.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home