Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ozarks: Family Circle

I was going to say that despite the date given on today's blog entry, I'm writing on a Sunday morning getting ready for attending the church where my brother, Brother John, preaches, but I now see that the date is correct . . . though not for the previous blog entry, which I actually wrote on Saturday morning but which posted as Sunday.

Anyway, after the service, we'll be heading off on a hike with Daddio, who's coming from Melbourne, Arkansas to meet us at the church service.

Yesterday, we had our family get-together -- also at the church -- and I saw some family members whom I had not seen for 30 or 40 years. I think that I was no more than 10 years old when I say Bill Hodges, who's some decade older than I but who looks a decade younger. He's better looking, too, but that's not a difficult achievement. I'd provide photos, but I don't quite know how with this local, hillbilly computer.

Anyway, Bill joined me and my brother Tim and his wife for an evening of mild drinking, only a couple of beers, and long discussion. We also listened to a CD that Tim gave me to keep, made from a demo tape by David Lynn Jones, an acoustic recording of David Lynn and some local musicians playing gospel music.

If you've never heard of Jones, try to find yourself something that he's done and listen to it. Only a handful of people have heard this gospel recording because it's never been marketed and is a little bit rough -- at one point, you can hear David Lynn's rocking chair creak as he leans forward. I don't know if many people ever will hear this recording, or if they'll ever even hear of Jones, and that's a shame, because the man was a great talent as a songwriter, musician, and performer. I say 'was' because he's gone to a place from where he's not returning even though he hasn't died . . . yet. But I guess that he will be truly gone one of these sad days. He's almost family because my step-granfather -- 'Granpa Archie' -- was David Lynn's great-uncle.

But some other time, I'll have to write more about this CD and the circumstances by which Tim came into possession of it. Right now, I have to head off for another Ozark day...

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the northwest corner of Arkansas is forecast for some very stormy weather on Monday. Isn't that where you are at?

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, sonagi, but nothing like what we experienced some few days past. I just spent a wonderful too short time with Jeff and his family at a "local" restaurant. They are well and seem to have a hectic itinerary so I thought I'd just answer.

I say local in quotes here because we are so rural Jeff and family had to drive some 50 miles to reach the restaurant. I only had to drive 30. He mentioned that he'd not driven since '95 so when he pulled out ahead of me I actually drove slower than I do in the dubiously delineated "city limits." But for the first time in my career I finally knew something he did not. He asked me to show him how to turn the headlights on. I even showed him how to dim and brighten them. Call me a hillbilly huh?

There is one point I want you to address Jeff when you return to reply. You mention you are having trouble blogging from the "hillbilly computer?" You have been gone too long.

A hillbilly computer is your ten fingers. An "advanced hillbilly computer" is when you have your socks off. And plugging any of the individual digits into a wall socket can't get one online, it has been and continues to be tried.

Turn the thing around and look at the back, I think it'll read, "Made in Somewhere Other Than Here." I mean like, how did you enjoy our local restaraunt?

JK

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Sonagi, we're more in northcentral Arkansas. If you can find Northfork Lake, we're about 20 miles east of that.

Storms in northwest Arkansas generally reach us, however.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kapok, thanks for the report to Sonagi . . . and for subtly warning me to keep my toes far from electrical outlets.

I did enjoy the Ozark meal, which was too short, as you have noted. Our schedule, unfortunately, is rather tight -- relatives, especially, must be visited.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

"If you can find Northfork Lake, we're about 20 miles east of that." - HJH

If you don't find that, Sonagi, try "Norfork Lake".

Sorry, Jeff...couldn't resist. Remember...we're hillbillies up here and everyone knows how lazy hillbillies are!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I guess that you're right Daddio. I've been stumbling over that one for the past few days, wondering about the spelling. I think that I get confused because of Salem's Southfork River.

Always check to be sure. Thanks.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home