Monday, February 18, 2008

Ozarks: Brief Byron Report

Sun-Ae decided to stay at my brother John's place last night for an evening with the family, but I went on to the prearranged meeting with my wine friend Bruce Cochran and his beer friend John Wells out at Bruce's family farm near Byron, Arkansas.

I'll have to report at some point on the various beers that I tasted yesterday evening at the old Cochran homestead, along with a longer report on Friday's wine evening, but for now, I've only time to comment that I enjoyed some unusual beers without getting drunk (which I avoid) or even tipsy (which I don't typically avoid).

I can also confess that for the first time in my life, I finally tasted moonshine -- only two sips, but nevertheless, moonshine -- so I am now truly an authentic Ozark hillbilly.

We had some stormy weather during the evening, with lightning getting closer and rain pouring down, but no tornado struck in this weird February weather even though one tore through only a hundred yards away from Bruce's place about ten years ago and went on to destroy the place next to his and even kill a small child, so we were well aware of the danger.

Driving back this morning along the seven or eight miles into town, I enjoyed the broad panoramas as I gradually descended the gentle hills into Salem, once again wondering why I'd ever left...

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Jeff:
Welcome to "authenic Ozark hillbilly status". From my one time try of 'shine, I formed a quick belief it would be best used as either a topical chigger treatment or for ridding oneself of intestinal larvae.
Continue to enjoy the trip.
Bill

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Bill. I'll certainly try to continue enjoying the trip . . . but not too much.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

I still have that bottle of Chilean Wine, Jeff. I'm sorry we didn't get to uncork it last week.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well, Daddio, there'll be time for that one of these days on another Ozark visit. Perhaps you've heard of my wife's 'five-year plan'?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

"Five-year" plan?

Heck, one of our beloved English scholars is leaving after the current semester.

A FIVE-MONTH plan is do-able!

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I guess that this answers one of my questions . . . but five months would probably be a bit soon for my wife's thinking.

There are details about our apartment, certain responsibilities in Seoul, my Kyung Hee University contract, my innate reluctance to make snap decisions, and so on . . . but it's very interesting to think about.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

"...but it's very interesting to think about."

Then I am confident you will think it through, come to the correct decision, and repatriate!

Well...hopeful anyway!

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well, we'll have to see. For now, I'm still expat...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home