Wednesday, October 10, 2007

False Memories of the SechsKies?

Her first loves...
(Image from Empas)

Well ... suspicious memories, anyway.

I'm not entirely sure that I've encountered a case of plagiarism in this student essay, but I do find odd that a student would be writing memories of her favorite pop band, SechsKies, from when she was in high school but suddenly shift from the first-person perspective to the second-person one to ask herself a question.

See what you think:
Even if others laugh at me, I still love and cherish them [i.e., the SechsKies] like a family. Their existence and music is a ray of light throughout my school years. Still, I often look back upon my student days with them because I can share a precious or sad memory with my brothers and also share of laughs and sorrows. Also SechsKie's symbol is yellow, yellow balloon. Then, the forsythia is the symbol of SechsKie's fan. So, I'm so happy to see such a something yellow color.

Do you remember your school days?

Yes! I was always with them. When I was a junior high school student, in spite of remote distance (from Tong-yeong to Seoul), I used to go to Seoul to see their concert and to support them with yellow balloon grabbed. I think that time was so childish but pure and a never-to-be-forgotten day in my life. Seeing their stage, I have held dream to work in a broadcasting station. So far, this dream holds good. I have many peculiar experience that other people easily haven't ever experienced. Through their existence, I gained moral force in my school days.
Well, there it is, the passage with the sudden shift from first-person perspective to a second-person-perspective question in interview style to first-person perspective again. It might not be a case of downloading error in an attempt at plagiarism, but it's certainly a weird jolt out of the blue.

I mean, who is supposed to be asking that question if the student is writing her real memories?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do recall an issue from Scientific American (1997-8?). Something about memory as I recall, it would have been between the American Thanksgiving of '97 and May '98.

This paper it seems may not be plagiarism as we normally associate it. (I wish I could recall where I placed the damned issue). This causes us much confusion. Perhaps we should go to the fridge and request a memory booster? They drank it left-handed. Then Roland called upon Ganelon and said, "Switch Fore, your brew is in another tongue."

I must keep looking for that dadgone issue, it has me switching from one to the other.

JK

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Po po tweet?

Now JK remembers how to switch from first to third person, and it was in September’s 1997 Scientific American issue. But Thanksgiving does not occur in September does it?

Of course we all laughed when we read in our high school yearbook about us dancing in three (or was it four dimensions). Loftus was it?

" 'Creating False Memories; September 1997; by Loftus; 6 Page(s)
Researchers are showing how suggestion and imagination can create "memories" of events that did not actually occur' "

Doctor Jeff, so long as your student (as I'm supposing) is of legal age, suggest he/she drink the kind of beer us memory retainers drink.

Oh, and send me an e-mail reminding me what kind it is. It's not from that Korean wine seller is it? Fan death is real. It nearly cost me my love this past Thursday.

JK

When one takes to write, our essay instructor must endeavor to set me write. They did remember from times past. It is the works cited page that gave me pause.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thank you JK. Your research skills reach far beyond my own.

I will send you an email with the correct info on memory if I don't forget.

I'd send it right now, but I'm in Loyola Library at Sogang University, and the Jesuits are watching me.

Granted, that particular Jesuit is dressed like a cleaning lady and is mopping the floor around my computer station, but I'm not fooled...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do be careful my friend and attend with the greatest care. Those Jesuits are crafty.

JK

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yes, they seem to be everywhere here at Sogang. I wonder if it has something to do with this being a Jesuit university?

Probably not. That'd be too obvious...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home