Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering Sara Low: American Airlines Flight 11

Sara Low
(Image Borrowed from Guardian Unlimited)

Last year on my September 11th post, my brother informed me that he had known one of the persons who had died on the first plane to hit the World Trade Center.

Today being a sad anniversary of that terrible day, I just want to repeat some things that I posted about Ms. Low a year ago.

First, from my September 13, 2006 blog entry:
On my 9/11 post, my brother Tim left this comment:
It's hard to believe it has been five years since 9/11. Thinking about Sara, a flight attendant I knew from Batesville, who died on Flight 11.
Astonished, I responded:
Tim, I had no idea that you knew someone who died in the 9/11 attacks.

I'm sorry to hear this. Was she a close friend?
To which, Tim said:
I know Sara's father well and knew Sara when she was in her teens and early 20s. She was an intelligent and beautiful person who deserved better than her tragic end.
Five years have passed, but only now have I learned that one of my own brothers knew someone not far from our hometown of Salem who was killed on September 11, 2001.

Sara died when she was only 28 and deserves a far better tribute than I can give, for I didn't know her, but I can at least add this post to her memory.
Now, from my September 14, 2006 blog entry:
I ... discovered that the last recorded information that we have about Sara Low is that on the highjacked American Airlines Flight 11, she gave to another flight attendant, Amy Sweeney, "her father's calling card, which allowed [Sweeney] ... to pretend to be a passenger and use an AirFone to call Logan Airport and relay the vital information.

"With that card, Ms. Sweeney reported what she knew and saw, providing valuable information until "the plane suddenly changed course, ... [and] she spoke her last reported words: 'I see water and buildings. Oh my God! Oh my God!'"

And that was the end.
Six years later, and one year after learning of Sara Low, I still think about these people whose terrible deaths changed everything.

Feeling rather somber this morning, I'll just stop here for today.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did she have a sister named Jennifer?

JK

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK, she had a sister named Alyson. I don't know if she had another sister named Jennifer (or if, possibly, her sister's name is either Jennifer Alyson Low or Alyson Jennifer Low).

Perhaps my brother Tim will read this and inform us.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffery - I am Sara's only sibling, and my full name is Rebecca Alyson. Thank you for remembering Sara in your postings again this year. It's very thoughtful of you and much appreciated by my parents and me.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thank you very much, Alyson, for taking the time to post here.

I didn't imagine that you or your family would even be aware of my small blog's post on your sister, for I found that many, many online sites have posts in memory of Sara Low (as well as of others who died that terrible day).

Although I didn't know your sister personally, when I learned that my brother knew your family from his time in Batesville, I felt that I should remember her, so I searched the internet last year for some details.

I'm thankful that my posts are acceptable, for I can understand that some families might prefer that strangers not post memories that could be felt as too personal.

Thank you again, and all the best to you and your family.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home