Thursday, February 15, 2007

Poetry Break: "Thrashin' Cane"

Inferno by Paul Gustave Doré (1832-1883)
Illustration 25 to Dante's Divine Comedy
(Image from Wikipedia)

Some time has passed since our last poetry break, but my site meter shows that blog hits here at Gypsy Scholar have been creeping up again, so I figure the time has come to discourage internet visitors by once again revealing a glimpse of my dark side.

Without further ado, here stands the poem:

Thrashin' Cane

I'd cut that cane
and bring 'um down,
Then thick, rich sap
would stain the groun',
And I'd feel better
all aroun'
. . . except I'm hardly able.

I'd crush that cane
and make 'um bleed,
I'd stop 'um ever
bearin' seed,
Just treat 'um like
a lowly weed
. . . except I feel unable.

I'd grind that cane
into the earth,
I’d make 'um ever
rue that birth --
Thus denigrate
all human worth
. . . except I'm just not able.
I suppose that I could just title it "Original Sinning" and lose more visitors that way, but "Thrashin' Cane" will serve to initially entice but quickly disappoint the S&M crowd, who will have hoped for more "beneath the thresher's flail."

For the benefit of trivia freaks, this poem was one of those that Jon Whitlock and I put to music and sang in our country-music concert when we were both studying in Tuebingen back in the early 1990s.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

youtube! youtube!
a cappella if need be.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I don't think that anybody made a video, and I'd need Jon's guitar but don't know where he's gotten to these days.

I will just remain an obscure footnote in music history...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I will just remain an obscure footnote in music history..."
--Jeffery Hodges

How disappointing. By the way, I hope you are not annoyed that I'm reading through your poetry collection.

--lollabrats

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Annoyed? Certainly not! You're one of the few who's shown any interest in my obscure footnotes to literature . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home