Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Great Google Translator!

Kimchiman Vents Displeasure With Google Translator
(Image from You Tube)

Richardson of DPRK Studies reports that Joshua of One Free Korea happened onto a Google Translator that will even deal with Korean-to-English translations!

This could prove really useful to me in my Gypsy Scholar work. No longer will I need rely on The Marmot or similar fly-by-night through hole-in-the-wall blogs for my Korea news.

I can just just plug some Hangul into Google and get better than Babel.

Some guy who calls himself Kimchiman didn't like it, though, and vented his wrath on You Tube:

"아리랑, 아리랑, 아라리요... 아리랑 고개로 넘어간다. 나를 버리고 가시는 님은 십리도 못가서 발병난다!"

According to Google Translator, he said:

"Arirang and Arirang, Oh li bedspread! It goes over with the Arirang head. It will carry and to throw away it goes and less than ten li go and outbreak of illness they are born!"

Wow! No wonder he was pissed! Yet, who would have known ... without the great Google Translator?

But I would have preferred that he refrain from cursing. That "Holy Bedspread!" stuff is just too much.

13 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Babelfish has some competition!

(I hate to plug my own site in other people's comments, so I won't post a link, but a while back I did do an entire entry on the follies of Babelfish... it was amusing, for me at least.)

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Charles, please do link. I encourage it.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my wife and I first met, we couldn't communicate more than about two words of each other's language. Our first date (in a computer-outfited coffeeshop in Sinchon) consisted of us showing each other pictures on our websites, and trying in vain to communicate through Google translator. We quickly gave up! Even on a word-for-word basis, Google translator proved more unworkable between English and Korean than the average pocket translator.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Nathan, that's amazing. Did you two fall in love before you could speak to each other?

And I thought that my story with Sun-Ae was exceptional.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we did, Jeffery! I rather like telling the story myself!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Perhaps it was body language...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I had forgotten about this comment. A bit belated, but here it is. Enjoy.

The adventures of Babelfish

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Charles. I look forward to more mischief from Duo.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Kimchiman said...

LMAO! I want one of those!

Ah, yes. The good ol' Google Translator. It reminds me of some old Bablefish, which is about as bad. I should plug Arirang in there and see how it comes out. Let's see...

Letter for letter exactly the same as Google's thingy.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kimchiman, LMAO? Let me Google that...

Oh ... oh, goodness. I hope that it wasn't painful.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

By the way, are you THE Kimchiman himself?

If so, great You Tube performance!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Kimchiman said...

" At 2:37 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

By the way, are you THE Kimchiman himself?

If so, great You Tube performance!

Jeffery Hodges"

That I am. Glad you enjoyed it.

Al (Kimchiman) Roy

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Al 'Kimchiman' Roy, for the great entertainment. I've looked at your performance several times and laugh each time.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home